DHCP + static IP on the same network?

Post by v.niekerk at hccnet.n » Mon, 19 May 2008 15:31:19

Hi,

Can somebody please tell me if I can use DHCP and static IP-networking
on the same network? My problem is that connecting one machine using
static IP with wifi is failing due to nerworking-tool issues. The rest
of the machines work fine on static IP, including a Mac on wifi. So, if
I can use DHCP and static at the same time it would solve a problem for me.

Thanks for an answer.

Post by Bit Twiste » Mon, 19 May 2008 16:24:27

> Hi,

> Can somebody please tell me if I can use DHCP and static IP-networking
> on the same network? My problem is that connecting one machine using
> static IP with wifi is failing due to nerworking-tool issues.

Based on all the information provided, I do not see why not.

I have a router handing out dhcp leases to all who ask on the LAN,
Rest of the time I am running static.

DHCP + static IP on the same network?

Post by v.niekerk at hccnet.n » Tue, 20 May 2008 00:36:06

Thank you. Working fine now.

1. How to set a static IP in a DHCP network?

Hi,
I have a pac bell dsl connection which is connected to a router that
has a DHCP server built into it. I connect a variety of windows
machines to the router via some hubs and that sort.
Recently I set up a Linux RH 7.2 box connected to the router and tried
to assign it one of the static IPs I have. After boot up if I do an
ifconfig eth0 I get the right information, however the box doestn seem
to be connected to the network and cannot access anything outside
itself.
If however I configure it as a DHCP client or set the bootp option in
netconf it seems to work fine with the problem that now the IP is
totally screwed up. Eventually I want to set up an FTP and news server
on the machine and for that I need a static IP but right now it seems
like I ran into a stone wall.
ANY help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
AM

2. nondestructive re-partitioning

3. How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?

4. PING Error

5. DHCP ip address vs static ip

6. Windows 2000 and Red Hat7

7. Is there any static ARP concept for static IP network?

8. Changing Ethernet Port Speeds

9. Newbie: How do I change NIC from a static IP to recieve a DHCP IP

10. DHCP IP / Static IP

11. Static IP network setup with a dynamic dial-up IP from ISP

12. Changing from DHCP to static IP?

13. DHCP, static IP in RedHat 7.3