Diskless client doesn't start kdm

Post by Roel » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:12:07

Hello

The pc which acts as server for the DC uses kdm as login manager, both have
the following lines in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager:

# Here you can set the default Display manager (kdm/xdm/gdm/wdm/console).
#
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

#
# Allow remote access to your display manager (kdm only for now)
#
DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="yes"

#
# let the displaymanager start a local Xserver
# set to "no" for remote-access only
#
DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"

but when I give the command "X -broadcast" on the DC the xdm login manager
starts up, but I would like to have kdm as login manager on the DC

What more needs to be done to get the kdm login manager on the DC.

Thanks in advance

best regards,

Roel Koelewijn
Netherlands

Diskless client doesn't start kdm

Post by Roel » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 02:47:54

Roel schreef:

Quote:> Hello

> The pc which acts as server for the DC uses kdm as login manager, both
> have the following lines in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager:

> # Here you can set the default Display manager (kdm/xdm/gdm/wdm/console).
> #
> DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

> #
> # Allow remote access to your display manager (kdm only for now)
> #
> DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="yes"

> #
> # let the displaymanager start a local Xserver
> # set to "no" for remote-access only
> #
> DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"

> but when I give the command "X -broadcast" on the DC the xdm login manager
> starts up, but I would like to have kdm as login manager on the DC

> What more needs to be done to get the kdm login manager on the DC.

Finally found it,changed in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

[Xdmcp]
Enable=false

[Xdmcp]
Enable=true

xdm restart
kdm

Best regards,

Roel Koelewijn  | SuSE 8.0 pro  | Kernel 2.4.20
Netherlands     | Dual PIII 667 | kde3.1
homepage        | 384 RAM  666 RAM swap
http://members.home.nl/rl.koelewijn/linux/

Post by Marcel van Osenbrugge » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 06:00:15

> Hello

> The pc which acts as server for the DC uses kdm as login manager, both
> have the following lines in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager:

> # Here you can set the default Display manager (kdm/xdm/gdm/wdm/console).
> #
> DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

kdm does not, by default, answer xdmcp queries ...

Edit the kdmrc file to enable it. Look at the [Xdmcp] block.

--

1. kdm doesn't start wm

Hello,

All my login managers are refusing to start a window manager.  For
instance, when I start kdm and log in, the X server is started but no
kde.  I must manually type startkde.  The same think happens with xdm
and gdm.  I have also tried with all other window managers on my system
and using all user accounts.  Does anyone have an idea where kdm is
instructed to start the wm so that I can get this to work?

thanks

2. Why empty is here ?

3. kdm doesn't read [KDM] part of config file

4. scsi device driver question

5. Enlarging Partition-without farmatting?

6. Diskless client can't start openwin?

7. Possible to log portfw ports?

8. : PLIP start up doesn't report problems but also doesn't work?

9. KDM/XDM/GDM: Won't start or can't login

10. newbie: which diskless(hd) distro for firewall w/wifi 'client' ??

11. dhcpd in rc script doesn't start, but it does start by hand

12. RedHat client sends DHCPDISCOVER, server hears and sends DHCPOFFER that doesn't reach client