Conecting a Win 95 machine to a Linux Box

Conecting a Win 95 machine to a Linux Box

Post by jrohlan » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

I am currently new to the linux world, and I have Red Hat Linux 5.0 that I
have installed. I am currently having some problems with hooking both the
Win 95 machine and the Linux Box together. I have set up the correct items
like, Ethernet card, D.Name, P.NameServer, etc. My problem starts when I am
setting up the Win 95 machine to log on to the Linux machine. I have set
Win  95 to Log in to a Win NT domain (NT Domain: WORKGROUP), Logon and
restore net connections, Specified an IP Address, and DNS to the Primary
NameServer on the Linux Box and name of the network.

Once I try to log in from the Win 95 Machine, I get an error that tells me
there is no DNS server to check the password and or log in. What am I doing
wrong? The system only consists of 2 machines, Linux and a Win 95 machine.
I am going to set up Linux to be a shared resource for files, modem,
printer, and other items, but I have not been able to get rid of this
error.

Please help a beginner, I am going out of my gord... Thanks for the help in
advance.

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

>I am currently new to the linux world, and I have Red Hat Linux 5.0 that I
>have installed. I am currently having some problems with hooking both the
>Win 95 machine and the Linux Box together. I have set up the correct items
>like, Ethernet card, D.Name, P.NameServer, etc. My problem starts when I am
>setting up the Win 95 machine to log on to the Linux machine. I have set
>Win  95 to Log in to a Win NT domain (NT Domain: WORKGROUP), Logon and
>restore net connections, Specified an IP Address, and DNS to the Primary
>NameServer on the Linux Box and name of the network.

>Once I try to log in from the Win 95 Machine, I get an error that tells me
>there is no DNS server to check the password and or log in. What am I doing
>wrong? The system only consists of 2 machines, Linux and a Win 95 machine.
>I am going to set up Linux to be a shared resource for files, modem,
>printer, and other items, but I have not been able to get rid of this
>error.

Not sure what the point is of logging onto an NT server, but if you do
not have a real one lurking on your network somewhere, you are likely
looking for Samba.  Another solution is simply to use 'Windows Logon'
and then you will be ready to telnet, ftp or browse your local Linux
webserver.  If you cannot figure out dns, then simply create a 'hosts'
file in your \windows dir (see 'hosts.sam' there for an example).

The Samba with RedHat 5 is a bit old, but you can play around with
that one and then download the current source from the Samba website.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Conecting a Win 95 machine to a Linux Box

Post by The Applema » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Basically, this is a bug with Samba IMHO.  I had this same message, but I
am still able to open up Network Neighborhood and view my Linux box and
it's shared directories and printers.

Henry

> >I am currently new to the linux world, and I have Red Hat Linux 5.0 that
> >have installed. I am currently having some problems with hooking both
the
> >Win 95 machine and the Linux Box together. I have set up the correct
items
> >like, Ethernet card, D.Name, P.NameServer, etc. My problem starts when I
am
> >setting up the Win 95 machine to log on to the Linux machine. I have set
> >Win  95 to Log in to a Win NT domain (NT Domain: WORKGROUP), Logon and
> >restore net connections, Specified an IP Address, and DNS to the Primary
> >NameServer on the Linux Box and name of the network.

> >Once I try to log in from the Win 95 Machine, I get an error that tells
me
> >there is no DNS server to check the password and or log in. What am I
doing
> >wrong? The system only consists of 2 machines, Linux and a Win 95
machine.
> >I am going to set up Linux to be a shared resource for files, modem,
> >printer, and other items, but I have not been able to get rid of this
> >error.

> Not sure what the point is of logging onto an NT server, but if you do
> not have a real one lurking on your network somewhere, you are likely
> looking for Samba.  Another solution is simply to use 'Windows Logon'
> and then you will be ready to telnet, ftp or browse your local Linux
> webserver.  If you cannot figure out dns, then simply create a 'hosts'
> file in your \windows dir (see 'hosts.sam' there for an example).

> The Samba with RedHat 5 is a bit old, but you can play around with
> that one and then download the current source from the Samba website.

> David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Conecting a Win 95 machine to a Linux Box

Post by Ian Moor » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

This is NOT a bug in Samba. At one point (not anymore) I had Samba doing
network logons and serving logon scripts. *IF* you have your options set
correctly in your smb.conf file, it will work fine. try `man
smb.conf`...

-- Ian