Need Help with "Chat Addict"

Post by jose rubi » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:16:20

Here's the situation, my child at home is *ed to chat.  He spends
all night (literally) chating on the computer and I want to curtail the
hours that he has access to it.

I have an idea, unfortunately i'm not good enough to even know if it
would work, much less know how to do it.

This is my setup:

at home I have a LAN with three Windows PC's connected to a router then
to a cable modem and then to Road Runner.  It has dynamic ip address.

at work I have a linux (Debian Woody) connected to a router.  This
router has a static ip address.

My Question:

Can I set up the router at home to use my linux box at the office as a
gateway and then write some kind of script that will turn on/off access
to chat (or even the entire net)?????

Any ideas/pointers/rtfm's please!!!  I tried setting my home router to
stop allowing internet access from 12am to 6am but he is somehow getting
around that (I think the router just stops web access...)

-jose-

Need Help with "Chat Addict"

Post by Andreas Klaue » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:24:03

> Here's the situation, my child at home is *ed to chat.  He spends
> all night (literally) chating on the computer and I want to curtail the
> hours that he has access to it.

There simply is no technical solution to that kind of problem! I'm an
* myself, only thing I can tell you, cutting the line is help from the
wrong direction, just making everything worse.

--
    -Andreas Klauer-

Need Help with "Chat Addict"

Post by jose rubi » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:51:21

>>Here's the situation, my child at home is *ed to chat.  He spends
>>all night (literally) chating on the computer and I want to curtail the
>>hours that he has access to it.

> There simply is no technical solution to that kind of problem! I'm an
> * myself, only thing I can tell you, cutting the line is help from the
> wrong direction, just making everything worse.

> --
>     -Andreas Klauer-

He's 30 years old (30 not a typo) and unemployed and he leaves his room
only to get food.  I know what you mean by cutting the line not being
the solution but, to use an analogy,  you cannot fight * *ion
if you have a bottle of gin at arm's reach.

I can go ahead and just cancel my road runner account but going
"cold-turkey" might not be the best way (I'll do it if it's the only way
though)

Is it the only way???

-jose-

Need Help with "Chat Addict"

Post by Peter A. Schot » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:09:03

Jose,
        What version of Windows are you running?  There may be some software that could help
you out.  You may find something that can control the hours a program is available or
something similar.  If you're running NT/2000/XP and using separate logins, you could have
a login set up for your son that automatically logs him out at a certain time.  (Make sure
to lock down everything else beforehand and don't give him admin rights or ability to
modify his password....)
        I know the problem you're speaking of and it's one reason I've really limited any
time I've had to spend in a chat room.  It can be *ing and I want to avoid that.  I

hall, ask to use the computer, and start again for hours.  It was kinda sad.

        Perhaps something like NetNanny could be installed.  Not a great solution, but
possibly worth considering.  I can't tell you much else except maybe to make a point of
being there with him while he's chatting.  Depends on the age and all that.  At the very
least you'd know what he was chatting about.  :)

-Pete

> Here's the situation, my child at home is *ed to chat.  He spends
> all night (literally) chating on the computer and I want to curtail the
> hours that he has access to it.

> I have an idea, unfortunately i'm not good enough to even know if it
> would work, much less know how to do it.

> This is my setup:

> at home I have a LAN with three Windows PC's connected to a router then
> to a cable modem and then to Road Runner.  It has dynamic ip address.

> at work I have a linux (Debian Woody) connected to a router.  This
> router has a static ip address.

> My Question:

> Can I set up the router at home to use my linux box at the office as a
> gateway and then write some kind of script that will turn on/off access
> to chat (or even the entire net)?????

> Any ideas/pointers/rtfm's please!!!  I tried setting my home router to
> stop allowing internet access from 12am to 6am but he is somehow getting
> around that (I think the router just stops web access...)

> -jose-

Need Help with "Chat Addict"

Post by Rob Schneide » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:21:00

> Here's the situation, my child at home is *ed to chat.  He spends
> all night (literally) chating on the computer and I want to curtail the
> hours that he has access to it.

> I have an idea, unfortunately i'm not good enough to even know if it
> would work, much less know how to do it.

> This is my setup:

> at home I have a LAN with three Windows PC's connected to a router then
> to a cable modem and then to Road Runner.  It has dynamic ip address.

> at work I have a linux (Debian Woody) connected to a router.  This
> router has a static ip address.

> My Question:

> Can I set up the router at home to use my linux box at the office as a
> gateway and then write some kind of script that will turn on/off access
> to chat (or even the entire net)?????

> Any ideas/pointers/rtfm's please!!!  I tried setting my home router to
> stop allowing internet access from 12am to 6am but he is somehow getting
> around that (I think the router just stops web access...)

> -jose-

With the Squid Proxy Server you can setup time restrictions by time by user.
You need a Linux/Unix box for Squid though. Assuming you could lock down
your child's Window's PC so that they HAVE to go through the Proxy Server
and not bypass it, it would work.  Although he/she could re-wire the whole
thing while you are asleep.

I believe that the newer NetGear routers have more sophisticated filtering
and may have capablity to restrict by time by port.  Generally, they are
pretty simple things.  Check their web site.

You said you tried setting the home router... check for way to set the port
number, and control the port used for chatting (I don't know which one that
is...have to look it up).

What I've done is put the "family" computer in the "family" room. We aren't
planning to permit the kids to have their own computer in their bedroom.
That rule will be stressed, I know, as they get older.

Need Help with "Chat Addict"

Post by Mik » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 01:34:38

I can't help Jose in using an offsite Gateway but I have an idea but
need the groups help/comments for those with a similar problem and an
onsite Linux router/gateway.

I just upgraded my Lenux box and am looking at packet filtering with
iptables. Seems to me one could turn chat on and off (an time or
limit) by machine by simply changing the rule set. I want to try it.
What protocol is chat? Need that to configure.

Mike

>Here's the situation, my child at home is *ed to chat.  He spends
>all night (literally) chating on the computer and I want to curtail the
>hours that he has access to it.

>I have an idea, unfortunately i'm not good enough to even know if it
>would work, much less know how to do it.

>This is my setup:

>at home I have a LAN with three Windows PC's connected to a router then
>to a cable modem and then to Road Runner.  It has dynamic ip address.

>at work I have a linux (Debian Woody) connected to a router.  This
>router has a static ip address.

>My Question:

>Can I set up the router at home to use my linux box at the office as a
>gateway and then write some kind of script that will turn on/off access
>to chat (or even the entire net)?????

>Any ideas/pointers/rtfm's please!!!  I tried setting my home router to
>stop allowing internet access from 12am to 6am but he is somehow getting
>around that (I think the router just stops web access...)

>-jose-

Need Help with "Chat Addict"

Post by Glitc » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:06:17

> I can't help Jose in using an offsite Gateway but I have an idea but
> need the groups help/comments for those with a similar problem and an
> onsite Linux router/gateway.

> I just upgraded my Lenux box and am looking at packet filtering with
> iptables. Seems to me one could turn chat on and off (an time or limit)
> by machine by simply changing the rule set. I want to try it. What
> protocol is chat? Need that to configure.

w/o looking at your post mike i said the same thing below in respone to
jose's question.  He implies that the chat his son uses isn't web based
and in that case, just like I tell jose, if he wants help from us he has
to know which chat program his son is using. U cant just ask what
protocol is chat because chat isnt the program. The program can be any
one of AOLIM, yahoo messenger, msn messenger, jabber, etc.  Once u know
 u will know the protocol because each one uses it's own, and therefore
differnet ports as well. HOwever to block them in a firewall u dont need
to know the protocols, they are irrelevant and iptables doesn't go by
protocols when concerning chat. U would use the port numbers in that case.

for example aol uses port 5190 for both incoming and outgoing
yahoo uses port 5050 for outgoing but uses ports above 1024 for incoming
connections.

hth
brandon

> Mike

>>Here's the situation, my child at home is *ed to chat.  He spends
>>all night (literally) chating on the computer and I want to curtail the
>>hours that he has access to it.

>>I have an idea, unfortunately i'm not good enough to even know if it
>>would work, much less know how to do it.

>>This is my setup:

>>at home I have a LAN with three Windows PC's connected to a router then
>>to a cable modem and then to Road Runner.  It has dynamic ip address.

>>at work I have a linux (Debian Woody) connected to a router.  This
>>router has a static ip address.

>>My Question:

>>Can I set up the router at home to use my linux box at the office as a
>>gateway and then write some kind of script that will turn on/off access
>>to chat (or even the entire net)?????

no because you are not on your company's network at home. Your home
connection is on roadrunner's network and has to get outside of their
network before any data could even come close to hitting your company's
network and thus your computer at work.  Your gateway at home *has* to be
one of roadrunner's servers in order for yoru computer to reach the general
Internet because you have to get out of roadrunner's network first.

Quote:

>>Any ideas/pointers/rtfm's please!!!  I tried setting my home router to
>>stop allowing internet access from 12am to 6am but he is somehow getting
>>around that (I think the router just stops web access...)

>>-jose-

I'd setup 2 sets of firewall scripts and have a cron job run the
appropriate script at certain times of the day. 1 script would turn on
the chat access and cron would run it at say 6pm and another script would
run at 9pm to block chat access and from 9pm one night to 6pm the next
cron wouldn't do anything. Then 6pm the next day cron runs to enable chat
again. If this is web based chat u will be blocking more than chat though
but it sounds like it's not from your last sentence and in that case you
will have to know which program he is using and which ports then that the
program works on (i.e. AOL, Yahoo, Jabber, etc.)

Need Help with "Chat Addict"

Post by Mik » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 01:48:45

Thanks Brandon,

Your advice on ports helps. Right now AOL Instant  messenger is being
used. Is there a way I can monitor what ports are being used at the
gateway in the the event someother chat program is used without my
knowing?

Mike

Post by Glitc » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 04:30:12

> Thanks Brandon,

> Your advice on ports helps. Right now AOL Instant  messenger is being
> used. Is there a way I can monitor what ports are being used at the
> gateway in the the event someother chat program is used without my
> knowing?

> Mike

the only way i know to do it would be to look up some of the chat
programs to find out what ports they use or u might have to install them
and use a network sniffer to find what ports they use and
just start blocking them at certain times before people even start using
them. Or just put rules in yoru firewall script to log when those
particular ports are used and then once u know people are actually using
those programs *then* u could block them. BUt I see no reason to wait though
if u have all the info u need up front; i'd just start blocking them if u
don't want people to use them.

i alreayd gave u the ports for yahoo mesenger but for others u can ask
around or visit their site or install them yourself like i said above and
use a packet sniffer to see what ports are in use.

hth
brandon

>>> I can't help Jose in using an offsite Gateway but I have an idea but
>>> need the groups help/comments for those with a similar problem and an
>>> onsite Linux router/gateway.

>>> I just upgraded my Lenux box and am looking at packet filtering with
>>> iptables. Seems to me one could turn chat on and off (an time or
>>> limit) by machine by simply changing the rule set. I want to try it.
>>> What protocol is chat? Need that to configure.

>>w/o looking at your post mike i said the same thing below in respone to
>>jose's question.  He implies that the chat his son uses isn't web based
>>and in that case, just like I tell jose, if he wants help from us he has
>>to know which chat program his son is using. U cant just ask what
>>protocol is chat because chat isnt the program. The program can be any
>>one of AOLIM, yahoo messenger, msn messenger, jabber, etc.  Once u know
>> u will know the protocol because each one uses it's own, and therefore
>>differnet ports as well. HOwever to block them in a firewall u dont need
>>to know the protocols, they are irrelevant and iptables doesn't go by
>>protocols when concerning chat. U would use the port numbers in that
>>case.

>>for example aol uses port 5190 for both incoming and outgoing yahoo uses
>>port 5050 for outgoing but uses ports above 1024 for incoming
>>connections.

>>hth
>>brandon

>>> Mike