nfs problem

Post by rprutsma » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Ok, I have two Rh6.1 boxes and one solaris7 box on a 3 node lan I use
for testing. The first rh box is the router to the internet through a
ppp connection. DNS is rock solid on it. The second rh box is the one I
want to set up as the NFS server. I have read all the HOWTOs and gotten
the router box to mount its drives. I know that it is set up correctly.
The prob is with the Solaris7 box. I mount the drive with no error on
the solaris box. I cd to it and ls and get nothing. I exit su and try to
get in as  normal user, but I get an access denied statement. I check
the logs on my rh box and everything is fine-- rh says solaris7 mount
request was successful.
Any ideas anyone?

nfs problem

Post by Steve Housem » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Dont know the answer but
- are the uids, gids and memberships of groups same on all boxes?
- might need to mount with v2 option (man mount on solaris7)
- presumably exported with no_root_squash ?

Hope you fix it soon,

Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

nfs problem

Post by Bill Unr » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

]Ok, I have two Rh6.1 boxes and one solaris7 box on a 3 node lan I use
]for testing. The first rh box is the router to the internet through a
]ppp connection. DNS is rock solid on it. The second rh box is the one I
]want to set up as the NFS server. I have read all the HOWTOs and gotten
]the router box to mount its drives. I know that it is set up correctly.
]The prob is with the Solaris7 box. I mount the drive with no error on
]the solaris box. I cd to it and ls and get nothing. I exit su and try to
]get in as  normal user, but I get an access denied statement. I check
]the logs on my rh box and everything is fine-- rh says solaris7 mount
]request was successful.
]Any ideas anyone?

a) Make sure that you use the 2.2.14 kernel with the nfs-utils (not
knfsd) as previous versions are reputed to be flakey with non-linux nfs
mounts.
b) Make sure that the mount points on Solaris have rx permission for
all before you mount anything on them. The system sees both the explicit
permissions and the hidden permissions of the mount point. Ie, the
mounted directory may have rx permissions for all, while the mount point
may have only rx for root. Then no other user will be able to properly
use the mounted directory ( even if ls -lga shows rx for all)

1. NFS Problems... "Unknown NFS client"

Hi!

I have just installed Slackware 2.3 and I'm trying to use NFS
with a Sun.

I can mount drives on the Sun, but the Sun can't mount drives on my
Linux box. I have stripped the /etc/exports file to include only:

/usr/local    *.my.domain(ro)

Yet, I receive messages like this in the syslog on the Linux box:

mount[49]: Unknown NFS client 191.214.xxx.yyy tried to access /usr/local

I have DNS working, and I have tried to put the Sun in my /etc/hosts
file to no avail...

Anyone know what could be wrong?!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
   Fredrik Lindgren

2. PS/2 Keybd mouse

3. NFS problems with PC/TCP's NFS

4. matrox mga-200 sd 8m agp

5. NFS problem: NFS client hosed by windows machine?

6. need to mod TCP/IP /dev???

7. NFS problem and swapping problem

8. Storix backup software

9. NFS Problem