Tool to view incoming/outgoing packets???

Tool to view incoming/outgoing packets???

Post by Charles Stac » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to view a packets sent between a
specific applications over a network.  In particular, I'd like to see what
gets sent to/from my database application and an SQL server running on my
linux machine.  Any ideas?

TIA,

Charles

Tool to view incoming/outgoing packets???

Post by Ima Maroo » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Ooooooo boy, you have several choices.  Try oooo what's it called... hell I
don't remember.  But several good ones exist.  Go to

www.freshmeat.net

and do a search on pcap or sniffer.  There's 3 or 4 really good ones.  One
is GTK based, one is QT based, and the remainder are curses or plain-text
based.

You could also try

www.linuxberg.com

They might have it now.  They're slowly working their way through the
entire linux app list and adding and testing and rating them as they go.

--
Ima Maroon

Quote:> I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to view a packets sent between
> specific applications over a network.  In particular, I'd like to see
what
> gets sent to/from my database application and an SQL server running on my
> linux machine.  Any ideas?

> TIA,

> Charles

1. How to rewrite only the port on incoming/outgoing packets

I've got a client program that talks to one or more server programs. The
restriction being that each server program must run on the same tcp port or the
client won't communicate properly. When run from different machines, this works
fine. I'd like to run 2 servers from the same machine. One of the
possible ways I've figured to do this is: the servers are run from Netra T1
machines which have 2 ethernet interfaces. Is it possible to get some kind
of port redirection software for unix that can sit on the Netra and listen to
one of the interfaces and rewrite port calls to it? This way one of the servers
could run on 30000, and the other on 30001. Any traffic directed for one
interface on 30000 would remain the same and connect to the server on 30000.
Any traffic directed for the other interface on 30000 would get rewritten with
the destination port 30001 and passed in to the server at 30001. The same
would have to happen for outgoing packets. Is this possible or can you
think of another way to accomplish this?

2. Linux on ThinkPad T30

3. Incoming and outgoing Packets under Solaris2.6

4. lp0

5. Can you port forward both incoming and outgoing packets?

6. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.admin

7. Blocking outgoing and incoming DHCP packets

8. Keyboard mapping-HELP!!

9. Logging incoming, outgoing packet on firewall, good choice or bad choice ?

10. Transparent port reassigning of UDP on incoming/outgoing packets?

11. Log view tool for iptables dropped packets?

12. Any tool to trace incoming and outgoing packets in Kernel, also loking for tool to debug application struck in infinite loops?

13. PPP load balancing works for incoming but not outgoing???