Linking a Mac and NT box w/Linux

Post by mathis » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Can I use a CD_ROM with Linux as a Boot disk to set up a small network
between a NT 4.0 Workstation machine and a Power mac 7100/66? All i need
to do is too send files back and forth between the two machines. I've
never useed Linux but I'm thinking of using it to brigde the gap between
NT and the Mac

--
Mathisha

Online portfolio at    http://idt.net/~mmn
                     (no "www" in above URL)
Updated 15.2.98

Post by William McBri » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: Can I use a CD_ROM with Linux as a Boot disk to set up a small network
: between a NT 4.0 Workstation machine and a Power mac 7100/66? All i need
: to do is too send files back and forth between the two machines. I've
: never useed Linux but I'm thinking of using it to brigde the gap between
: NT and the Mac

Linux will happily speak to NT (TCP/IP, Samba) and Mac (Netatalk). But I'm
not clear what you mean about the CD-ROM. (On a related note: I use the
hfs filesystem module to mount Mac CDs on my Linux/i386 machine, and
Netatalk to share them with my Mac SE/30, which is pretty cool.)

It doesn't sound like you really want or need Linux, though. Just get both
of your current systems speaking TCP/IP, and set up an FTP server on one,
and an FTP client on the other. Alternatively, there's commercial software
to put Macs on Windows LANs, or vice versa. Come to think of it -- isn't
NT supposed to come with Mac file-sharing?

--
William McBrine    | http://www.clark.net/~wmcbrine/

Linking a Mac and NT box w/Linux

Post by mathis » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

<snip>
:
: It doesn't sound like you really want or need Linux, though. Just get both
: of your current systems speaking TCP/IP, and set up an FTP server on one,
: and an FTP client on the other. Alternatively, there's commercial software
: to put Macs on Windows LANs, or vice versa. Come to think of it -- isn't
: NT supposed to come with Mac file-sharing?
<snip>

I was hoping to avoid having to shell out more $$$$ for networking
software and hardware. I got NT workstation. The Server versiuon is the
one with the mac file sharing. So far the costs of all the other
alternatives doesn't work out. I've realized that the best way is to
simple plug and unplug the zip drive between the to and tranfer smaller
files using a floppy

many thanx for the folks who responded! :D

--

Post by Alex Satrap » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> : Can I use a CD_ROM with Linux as a Boot disk to set up a small network
> : between a NT 4.0 Workstation machine and a Power mac 7100/66? All i need

> Linux will happily speak to NT (TCP/IP, Samba) and Mac (Netatalk). But I'm
> not clear what you mean about the CD-ROM. (On a related note: I use the
> hfs filesystem module to mount Mac CDs on my Linux/i386 machine, and
> Netatalk to share them with my Mac SE/30, which is pretty cool.)

I use the one Linux box to server FTP, HTTP, SMB, ASFS blah blah blah :)

I can administer my Web and FTP sites from either my Mac or my Windogz
machine. Transferring files is almost a cinch... except for text files
which are a pain.

The Linux box also acts as a masquerade proxy/router to the Internet. I
think this way is a much neater than trying to use NT for routing, or
WinGate under '95. Then again... it requires a separate box to run linux
on.

Alex Satrapa

Post by rmles.. » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

><snip>
>:
>: It doesn't sound like you really want or need Linux, though. Just get both
>: of your current systems speaking TCP/IP, and set up an FTP server on one,
>: and an
>I was hoping to avoid having to shell out more $$$$ for networking
>software and hardware. I got NT workstation. The Server versiuon is the
>one with the mac file sharing. So far the costs of all the other
>alternatives doesn't work out. I've realized that the best way is to

I have just brought up linux 2.0.29 . Everything seems fine except that I can't
get my ethernet cart to work.  rc.module says eepro.o is busy (which I assumes
that it is already in the kernal but rc.inet1 say I should modprode (?) the ethernet
card module.  I can ping 271.0.0.1 but my tcp address times out. ifconfig only
shows 271.0.0.1 and I get an error on booting (both ifconfig and ethertalk).
Should I reconfigure the kernel (though I thought adding the module would do it)
, is there a new module, or have I   been trying to add the wrong module?

Post by Donald Beck » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I have just brought up linux 2.0.29 . Everything seems fine except that I can't
>get my ethernet cart to work.  rc.module says eepro.o is busy (which I assumes
>that it is already in the kernal but rc.inet1 say I should modprode (?) the
>ethernet

Some versions of 'insmod' program report the EBUSY message when they really
should be reporting ENODEV.  Bottom line: the driver isn't find the card.
Are you certain you using the correct driver for you card?  Intel all of its
ethernet cards "EtherExpress blah blah", with similar names even when they
use very different chips.

The
  ISA EtherExpress Pro  is not related to the   PCI EtherExpress Pro 10
but the
  PCI EtherExpress Pro 10+  (i82557 chip)
is the same as the
  PCI EtherExpress Pro 100B (i82557 chip) and
  PCI EtherExpress Pro 100+  (i82558 chip)

Most Intel cards have drivers, except for the card based on the NatSemi
DP83800 chip.

See
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/index.html

Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

1. Need help setting up null modem CSLIP link from Mac to Linux box...

HELP!

I've been unable to get a null-modem-cable CSLIP connection working between
my Macintosh and my Linux box. When I run getty on the serial port, I can
log in just fine, so the physical connection is apparently OK.

I have created an entry in /etc/diphosts for the Mac as follows:

     mac::204.27.210.151:204.27.210.137:255.255.255.0::CSLIP,1006

and modified the entry in /etc/inittab to run '/usr/sbin/diplogin mac'
instead of getty (and of course ran 'init q' to respawn the process).

I'm using InterSLIP on the Macintosh, which works fine with my ISP, so
that is also set up OK -- except of course that I modified the
configuration to specify my Linux box as the gateway, etc.

When I connect to the Linux box from the Mac, InterSLIP shows that the Mac
is connected and ps under linux shows dip running on the port, but I can't
ping the Mac nor can any Mac TCP/IP apps connect to the Linux box.

Doesn't dip set up the routing for the connection automatically? How can I
check that dip has configured everything correctly?

Any help in getting this working will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Patrick Stickler

2. Why dows Netscape say "no DNS for mail/news" ?

3. Can a Linux box be linked to an NT machine?

4. Aix 3.1 cc -c -o ... problems

5. Linking Linux boxes via serial link

6. Codebase 6.3 on Linux?

7. network NT box with Linux box

8. WANTED: Be on the cover of Linux Jounal

9. How do I use my NT Domain ID from Linux box to NT Server?

10. IP Masq works with Linux box, but not WIN NT box

11. Linux Box to NT Box using crossover cable

12. How to connect NT machine through samba Linux box to NT net?

13. Please Be Gentle: Anyone install Linux, NT Workstation, & NT Server on one box?