Minimum RAM for using Linux as a dedicated Terminal Server

Minimum RAM for using Linux as a dedicated Terminal Server

Post by Michael Reev » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

What is the minimum memory I should calculate per-port for using Linux as a
dedicated terminal server (SLIP/CSLIP/PPP/Telnet to another host)?  Do I need
1 meg per serial port?  Can I get by with 512k per serial port?  What would
the minimum memory be to keep the performance up?

If I go this route, I'll use either a fast 486 with Boca 16 port serial units, or
probably 486-33's running Intelligent ports (I'm leaning towards the Comtrol
Rocket product).

Mike.

Post by Elaine Walt » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>What is the minimum memory I should calculate per-port for using Linux as a
>dedicated terminal server (SLIP/CSLIP/PPP/Telnet to another host)?  Do I need
>1 meg per serial port?  Can I get by with 512k per serial port?  What would
>the minimum memory be to keep the performance up?
>Mike.

A question I would ask you is: what is typically done on this machine?
Downloads?  Shell stuff?  Compiling?  A BBS/fileserver really doesn't need
very much RAM (however, the more you have, the better the performance).
Linux will run fine (without X11) on 4MB.  If each of the terminals will be
only doing file stuff, 8MB will (IMHO) be fine.  On the other hand, if you
are setting up a lab and the users will be doing compiling and other complex
stuff, 1-2MB per user.
Hope that helps.
-Sean Walton

Post by Daniel Panca » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>What is the minimum memory I should calculate per-port for using Linux as a
>dedicated terminal server (SLIP/CSLIP/PPP/Telnet to another host)?  Do I need
>1 meg per serial port?  Can I get by with 512k per serial port?  What would
>the minimum memory be to keep the performance up?
>If I go this route, I'll use either a fast 486 with Boca 16 port serial units, or
>probably 486-33's running Intelligent ports (I'm leaning towards the Comtrol
>Rocket product).

see http://www.infocom.net/infocom/~linuxisp
Daniel Pancamo      (713)286-0399 voice       InfoCom Networks (ISP)

19.95 Month PPP     http://www.infocom.net    Houston, Texas 77259-0343

Post by Michael Reev » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>What is the minimum memory I should calculate per-port for using Linux as a
>>dedicated terminal server (SLIP/CSLIP/PPP/Telnet to another host)?

>A question I would ask you is: what is typically done on this machine?

It would be dedicated only to running SLIP, CSLIP, PPP connections as well as
automatically telneting to another host in my network (a user machine).

In other words, it would be setup as a dedicated terminal server with no other
function.  I hoping to run at least 32 ports on a 486DX-100 and perhap as many
as 64.

Mike.

Post by Nathan Stratt » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: It would be dedicated only to running SLIP, CSLIP, PPP connections as well as
: automatically telneting to another host in my network (a user machine).

: In other words, it would be setup as a dedicated terminal server with no other
: function.  I hoping to run at least 32 ports on a 486DX-100 and perhap as many
: as 64.

I love linux and all, but you should just go out and get a Livingston
Portmaster 2e-30. Linux is a great server, but makes a bad terminal server.

 --

Nathan Stratton           CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.

WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest

Post by Joe Portm » Fri, 08 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I love linux and all, but you should just go out and get a Livingston
: Portmaster 2e-30. Linux is a great server, but makes a bad terminal server.

Umm, we have 72 ports of linux PPP/Slip and counting. When a portmaster will
run OSPF and do variable subnets, I'll look at 'em again. My 3 'lannexes'
all have 16 or 32 ports (expandable to 48 pretty easy) running at 115,200 and
cost about half what a portmaster does. Sure, there was a learning curve, but
its behind us now. The PM's have some nice filter options, but in practice
we don't need them. We HAD to have reliable sub-net routing, IE we have
fulltime customers dialing into any one of three term servers. With OSPF
running (via gated), the routes are all handled automatically. We even
run RADIUS for authentication.

To answer the orignal question, I have run 32 ports quite comfortably in a
386 sx/40 with 8 MB ram. Load average when busied out hovered right around
1.0, and the disk light never came on.

We use 486/66's with 16MB ram now, and the load average never cracks .2,
except when doing backups (yup we even back them up).
Joe Portman - Alternate Access Inc.             Affordable, Reliable Internet
        For questions or support, call our voice line (206) 728-9585.

1. Linux dedicated UT server vs. Win32 dedicated server ?

Hello

I have a UT dedicated linuxserver at home. The hardware is not the fastest,
but it works good for me and my friends. We can play with 2 human players
and 4 bots. The server is a P133, 64 MB EDO Ram on an Iwill P54TS Board with
an 3c900B XT 10/100 Networking Card. Do not laugh about the fast CPU :-)

Ok, I would known if a NT Server configured on the same machine with a Win32
UT dedicated server is as fast as the linux server who is installed at the
moment. Who needs more system memory. The NT or the Linuxserver ? Who has
the better networkingperformance  ( low pings, little lag ..)

is it advisable to change from linux to NT or is it better to leave the
system as it is ?

Thanks in advance
Frank

2. Embedded programming

3. Minimum config for Linux Terminal Server?

4. Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!

5. More Ram vs. a Dedicated File Server

6. How to mount a "Music" CD player

7. Dedicated Unix dedicated Server

8. Installation with Drive Overlay (EZ-DRIVE)?

9. Dedicating a Machine to SLIP? Minimum requirements?

10. Disk and RAM size for minimum character mode Linux

11. RAM, DISK size for minimum Linux

12. Disk and RAM size for minimum character mode Linux

13. Minimum Ram and Hard for Linux