1 * kaBayoadH-pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

1 * kaBayoadH-pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

Post by Xaaa JMAIL-exch2 » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Setup as follows:-

win98 box with an internal modem and scheduling software that
automatically logs onto the internet, to collect mail/news.

linux box (2.2.12 RH5.2) with demand dialing pppd, with external modem.

Both modems use the same phoneline

Problem:-

The win98 dials and connects fine but only manages to get 2 or 3 emails
before the linux box decides to connect and throws the win98 (Now cheers
for linux, I'm sure it was not built into pppd to do this whenever a
win98 machine accesses the phoneline) machine of the internet/phoneline.

Now is this the modem discovering the line is active...? No surely not
Is it stray TCP/IP packets activating pppd?

I need to stop this until I have figured out how I can get my mail/news
package to pass through the linux modem via either a firewall or IP
masquerading. It needs to access post.demon.co.uk or pop3.demon.co.uk,
ntp.demon.co.uk & news.demon.co.uk through the linux box.

M.

--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

Web site Monitoring:-             http://www.shadow.org.uk/SiteSight/

1. pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

[...]

2. Oracle and Memory

3. Help: PPPD Connects; Reboot; PPPD doesn′t connect?

4. Copying entire partitions... over the network ?

5. Run script after pppd is connected (REALLY connected)?

6. off topic: unix position open

7. Keeping two Linux boxes connected by modem up

8. Hard-disk recording software?

9. Connect via LAN vs. Connect via modem headache

10. 3com Office Connect LAN Modem::trouble connecting

11. pppd connect then modem drops carrier, scipt shows

12. modem connect speed in pppd

13. pppd with no modem "CONNECT" response