Debian: doc for /etc/network/interfaces, ifup, ifdown

Debian: doc for /etc/network/interfaces, ifup, ifdown

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:27:53

Where can I find documentation for the ifupdown package that comes
with Debian?

I already looked at "man interfaces", "man ifup" and the
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/ directory.

But I'm still confused about the "mapping" feature and about the
interface name.  For the mapping feature, it is not clear what it
does, and it is also unclear how the script that needs to be specified
is called and how does it return the results.

I _think_ the idea is that "ifup eth0" looks at the mapping section
for eth0, runs the script specified there, and uses the script output
to determine a `real' interface name foo, and then processes the
"iface foo" section.

For the interface name, ifconfig(8) says that it is "usually a driver
name followed by a unit number, for example eth0 for the first
Ethernet interface."  But I wonder if I can use different interface
names for the same ethernet card?  This would allow me to specify on
the command line the interface to use.

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

1. Debian: No network with /etc/network/interfaces

Hi:

Just starting a Debian 3.0r0 install from scratch.
Network: DSL is bridged with static IP.

I've read the man pages on the interfaces file but cannot
get it to work.  Instead, I need to issue the folowing
two commands before I can ping anything except localhost:

ifconfig eth0 aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd up netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw aaa.bbb.ccc.1 dev eth0

where, aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is my static ip, and aaa.bbb.ccc.1
the ip of the DSL modem/gateway.

Here are the relevant, but non-functional
lines in /etc/network//interfaces:

iface eth0 inet static
  address aaa.bbb.ddd.ccc
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway aaa.bbb.ddd.1

Any idea what could be broken?

I get nowhere with those lines in /etc/network/interface
and using the command ifup -a.  If there is no resolution
to this, where in the boot sequence should I put the
ifconfig and route commands?  (I tried adding a script
with those commands in /etc/network/if-up.d
with no succes either)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

|\|.

Hey you know something people?                      They won't go for no more
I'm not black, but there's a whole lotsa times      Great Midwestern hardware store
I wish I could say I'm not white.                   Philosophy that turns away
(1965, Frank Zappa in Trouble Every Day             From those who aren't afraid to say
 -> Freak Out)                                      What's on their mind -- The left behinds
                                                    Of The Great Society.
                                                    (1965, Frank Zappa in Hungry Freaks, Daddy
                                                     -> Freak Out)

2. dsl modem

3. How do you use ifup and ifdown while not at console?

4. Q: UMAX Astra 1220S Flatbed Scanner

5. ifup-ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 fron crontab

6. How to identify winmodem

7. user rights to use ifup, ifdown, ...

8. How to resize windows in X

9. ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

10. Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

11. ifup/ifdown script oddity

12. ifup & ifdown questions

13. Setup of bonded network interfaces on suse8.2 with ifup ?