USB Linksys Card on and PCI-USB card

Post by Drew Northu » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> Hi:

> My machine doesn't have any USB port.  Therefore, I installed a PCI card
> that gives me two USB ports.  I use LinkSys's USB network card to connect to
> my home LAN.  Window works with my card no problem.  But my linux won't
> detect the USB card over my PCI slot.  Anyone can help?  I am using Redhat
> 6.2 on my Pentium 333.  Thank in advance for your help.

> Frank

I'm not sure about this....., but that may be one of the Windows only
cards..............

--
Drew Northup, N1XIM

Post by fran » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:26:57

Hi:

My machine doesn't have any USB port.  Therefore, I installed a PCI card
that gives me two USB ports.  I use LinkSys's USB network card to connect to
my home LAN.  Window works with my card no problem.  But my linux won't
detect the USB card over my PCI slot.  Anyone can help?  I am using Redhat
6.2 on my Pentium 333.  Thank in advance for your help.

Frank

1. VT82C586B USB PCI card, Linux USB

I have a USB PCI card, which shows up as this in `lspci`:

00:09.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B USB (rev 04)

... it appears that they tossed the whole southbridge chip onto a pci
board, and disabled everything but USB. Anyway, this device seems to be
semi-functional under 2.2.18 USB. I have a cheapie IBM usb camera that
works, but a USB scanner that does not -- always gives the following
errors:

usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
scanner.c: write_scanner: NAK received.

The firmware upload seems to work ok, but nothing else does. The sane
tools actually segfault, and once the kernel oopsed (didn't manage to
get the output :( ).

 I noticed a config setting for that chipset, but it was under block
devices, so I left it turned off. Judging form reading the LKML, VIA
chipsets are problematic. Has anyone has any positive experiences
getting this device to do the thing it's supposed to do under Linux? Any
tips?

-M

-

2. Linux for PPC Memory Layout

3. pci-card usb v on-borad usb

4. netatalk?

5. Apple USB mouse w/Orange Micro PCI USB/Firewire card wont work!

6. Hard Drive formatting issue.

7. Any suggested PCI-USB Cards?

8. Digital Camera

9. USB card detected, yet no USB

10. Solaris USB driver for Linksys USB Ethernet controller (USB200M)

11. Looking for an USB PCI Card for my Ultra 10

12. recommended USB 2.0 PCI card for linux

13. PCI Expansion card for USB Client(device) required