Auto_PPP Mini-FAQ

Post by Henry Cros » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
 I finally figured this out the other day and it's really simple once
you
the secrets. First this only applies to mgetty so if you don't have it -
get it!
Second make sure you get the mgetty version 0.99 or better. Sunsite,
tsx-11
or wherever. Third compile it with the -DAUTO_PPP option this is _very_
important! Second in the login.config file uncomment the /AUTO_PPP/ line
don't change anything else on that line until after you've got this
working
properly! Next make sure your ppp users have the appropriate entries
in /etc/passwd file so they can be authenticatied and allowed to logon.
Then create a /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file the documentation is under the
Authentication section of man pppd. Use the simplest possible entry
until you get it up and running. I used:
* * ""
When you've gotten everything else up and running you can modify this
file,
but wait till it works _first_.
Finally create in /etc/ppp an options file or an options.ttyS1,
options.ttyS2,
etc. etc file to hold the options you wish to use.
In options.ttyS1 I used this:
proxyarp
crtscts
192.168.1.1:192.168.1.101

In options.ttyS2 I used different IP address'es.

This is everything you need to start. RTFM for the details, but this
will get
you up & running.

Good Luck,
and don't forget to compile PPP into the kernel ;)

--
H.Cross

Work:     | OS/2 - Best DOS emulator in an armored OS
Play:     | DOS and it's graphical menu system. (Windows)
Learn:    | U of NIX (LINUX rocks!)