rsync says some files can not be transferred

rsync says some files can not be transferred

Post by linq.. » Sat, 30 Sep 2006 04:33:28

Hi,
  I just used rsync to copy over a larg file set, at the end of the
session, rsync prints out the following,

sent 16 bytes  received 2975988 bytes  1219.42 bytes/sec
total size is 6402302674  speedup is 2151.31
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/main.c(1173)

  I use command line like this, "rsync -a -vv <src> <dst>", it is
double "v" in the command to see more debug message.

 The problem is it does not tell me what files are not transfered over.

  Any pointer?

Thanks,
Jibin

Post by Unru » Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:32:36

>Hi,
>  I just used rsync to copy over a larg file set, at the end of the
>session, rsync prints out the following,
>sent 16 bytes  received 2975988 bytes  1219.42 bytes/sec
>total size is 6402302674  speedup is 2151.31
>rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
>/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/main.c(1173)
>  I use command line like this, "rsync -a -vv <src> <dst>", it is
>double "v" in the command to see more debug message.
> The problem is it does not tell me what files are not transfered over.
>  Any pointer?

Sure. you forgot to look through the huge list of messages generated from
the rsync -avv command (you know that long list of files transfered) to see
the ones that had trouble. You thought that long list was irrelevant
material and that rsync would report on the transfer errors at the end. It
does not. It reports on them when it gets to them.
Quote:>Thanks,
>Jibin

1. Using rsync to delete remote files as they're transferred?

I have a task where I need to take a collection of files on a remote
server and transfer them, one at a time, a local server, deleting each
remote file as it is successfully transferred.  The reason for the
delete-as-transfer phase is that there are potentially a lot of files
and the task is likely to be interrupted, so it is intended to save disk
space on the remote server (there could be very long periods before a
sync actually fully completes to run a separate cleaning script).

At present I'm doing this with a script that uses ssh to initially get
the list of remote files to transfer, and then loops over each file
doing an scp and then (upon success) doing an ssh to remove the remote
file.  Nothing fancy, naturally, but after starting to use rsync for
other tasks it occurs to me that rsync would be a much better tool if it
had a mode which would allow this behavior (since the current script
involves creating many ssh sessions, exactly the thing that rsync is
designed to minimize).

Can rsync do this?

--

/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && &tSftDotIotE
\__/ Education is a state-controlled manufactory of echoes.

2. slackware linux on PS2

3. ncurse says "this terminal does not support color", I am using color xterm!

4. Apache Worm

5. mod_put, PHP, Apache says "file not found" with .phtml files

6. EDQUOTA

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. DosKey type of thing

9. rmuser says a user does not exist, but adduser says the user does exist?

10. umount says /jumpstart busy, fuser says not

11. rsync transfers seem to hang at end or freeze

12. rsync transfer issues