att@home cable modem on linux box suddenly stops working

Post by Mike Stit » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I had been sucessfully using a Linux Box as a ipchains firewall to
masquerade

After a month and a half of successful operation, today, it suddenly stopped
working.  I don't think I touched *anything* to break the setup. But,

it works fine.  But when I switch back to my cable modem, it does not.

dhcpcd seems to correctly determine the ip address and name server but,
when I try a nslookup, I get:

*** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: No response from
server

When I switch back to my NT connected to the cable modem, the NT box still
works.

Anybody else suddenly getting this type of problem?

-Mike

Post by Mike Kir » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> After a month and a half of successful operation, today, it suddenly stopped
> working.  I don't think I touched *anything* to break the setup. But,

> it works fine.  But when I switch back to my cable modem, it does not.

> dhcpcd seems to correctly determine the ip address and name server but,
> when I try a nslookup, I get:

> *** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: No response from
> server

> When I switch back to my NT connected to the cable modem, the NT box still
> works.

> Anybody else suddenly getting this type of problem?

Are your dual-booting NT, or is it a seperate box? My cable modem seems to
cache the MAC address of the card it is plugged into.... such that if I
plug it ito a different box I always have to unplug the modem for a couple
of seconds before it works correctly.

So if you are physically switching the cable modem connection between
different network cards try unplugging your modem for a second, or it may
not "talk" to the new network card.

Later,

        Mike

att@home cable modem on linux box suddenly stops working

Post by Mike Stit » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am running two different boxes.

*oooops*

The 10Base-T ethernet cable from my linux box to my cable modem failed.

Problem solved.

-Thanks

-Mike

> > After a month and a half of successful operation, today, it suddenly
stopped
> > working.  I don't think I touched *anything* to break the setup. But,

network,
> [...]

> it works fine.  But when I switch back to my cable modem, it does not.

> dhcpcd seems to correctly determine the ip address and name server but,
> when I try a nslookup, I get:

> *** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: No response from
> server

> When I switch back to my NT connected to the cable modem, the NT box still
> works.

> Anybody else suddenly getting this type of problem?

Are your dual-booting NT, or is it a seperate box? My cable modem seems to
cache the MAC address of the card it is plugged into.... such that if I
plug it ito a different box I always have to unplug the modem for a couple
of seconds before it works correctly.

So if you are physically switching the cable modem connection between
different network cards try unplugging your modem for a second, or it may

Post by admrlc.. » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

You have two ways of resolving this issue.

1) Keep your linux box connected for a couple of days with cable modem
(see reason below)

mins - 4hrs)

Whats going on.

Your cable modem is hooked to an ATM network. The ATM switch has a
cache of mac addresses that it is performing switching for. When you
hook up a different NIC to the cable modem the Mac address entry in the
ATM switch is now incorrect. All packets you send to the switch are
discarded. Once in while (not sure how long a while is) the ATM switch
will decide to update its cache and if you have changed the NIC, the
switch will update its switching table with the mac address for the new
NIC card.

So you can either wait, or suffer through LONG phone holds and
incompetent Level I tech support. Hard part is going to be to get the
Level I techs to understand what Mac addresses are, and why you need to
talk to Level II engineers. BTW only Level II engineers can re-push
modems.

Good Luck...

> Hi,

> I had been sucessfully using a Linux Box as a ipchains firewall to
> masquerade

> After a month and a half of successful operation, today, it suddenly
stopped
> working.  I don't think I touched *anything* to break the setup. But,

network,
> it works fine.  But when I switch back to my cable modem, it does not.

> dhcpcd seems to correctly determine the ip address and name server
but,
> when I try a nslookup, I get:

> *** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: No response
from
> server

> When I switch back to my NT connected to the cable modem, the NT box
still
> works.

> Anybody else suddenly getting this type of problem?

> -Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.