Home networking - pointers needed

Post by Sandhitsu R Da » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I know this must have been discussed many times in this ng. I'm just
asking for pointers to helpful documents.

I need to network n (n>2) linux machines at home - one of which will be
the gateway to my dialup connection. I already bought ethernet cards, CAT5
cables and a hub. I need documentation on how to set up the internal
subnet and how to do firewalling/IPmasq etc.

Home networking - pointers needed

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> I know this must have been discussed many times in this ng. I'm just
> asking for pointers to helpful documents.

> I need to network n (n>2) linux machines at home - one of which will be
> the gateway to my dialup connection. I already bought ethernet cards, CAT5
> cables and a hub. I need documentation on how to set up the internal
> subnet and how to do firewalling/IPmasq etc.

There are Linux HOWTO documents on most or all of what you need. Check
http://www.linuxdoc.org and read through the list of HOWTO documents.
The ipchains HOWTO, IP masquerading HOWTO, PPP HOWTO, and NET-3 HOWTO
spring to mind as being important.

If you want something more than the HOWTOs, you may want to look into a
basic Linux networking book. Depending upon your exact needs, there are
several possibilities (one of which I've written). I've got some
suggestions at http://www.rodsbooks.com/books/books-network.html.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

1. Newbie question - pointers to useful 'masquerading' config for home network

All,

I'm trying to config a Linux server that will allow me to connect 'it' to
the internet using PPP dialup to my ISP and therefore allow any other
machine to do the following:

* access the internet (if the server machine is connected !!)
* access mail stored on the server using IMAP
* send email from any machine to internal / external addresses

Current status:

The server machine is currently running RH6.0 with a 2.2.10 kernel
configured for masquerading etc. and works as a DNS and DHCP server fine on
my private network (192.168.0.*)

I believe I need to set up the following:

a) Masquerading rules
b) Mail forwarding.

Any tips, pointers, examples would be gratefully received.

Please reply privately if you feel the info is not suitable for mass
distribution !

Thanks in advance
    Richard

2. installing linux on COMPAQ

3. Pointers for home networking

4. General Questions

5. Any pointers on setting up a home network?

6. Help! Installing Deb Linux on iMac

7. Setting up a home LAN - Linux 5.1 & Win 98 - some pointers needed

8. Trouble with Xwindows networking

9. Need pointers on setting up my network...

10. Need network stats package, any suggestions/pointers?

11. Benefits of dual-homed firewall for home network?

12. need a suggestion to a home network (wire or wireless) behind a Linux firewall

13. problem with telnet on home network DSL - Help needed