Storing Macintosh files on Linux NFS volume?

Storing Macintosh files on Linux NFS volume?

Post by Stephen Costar » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have a split lan between several Macs (powermacs) and Linux
systems.  I have files that are needed by both platforms.  Currently
I have a Mac that is running as a fileshare machine which works
great for the Macs on the lan, but not for Linux.  (problems
mounting appletalk volumes read/write etc).

I was thinking about moving the raid array over to a Linux box
and then run macNFS on my macs (to mount NFS volumes on the mac)
BUT I have a concern with the Mac files.  Can Linux handle the
data/resource forks of Mac files?  Is this evena problem?  Say I
have one logical volume that is an application volume (has all
the programs on it for the mac) can I easily RUN those programs
even though they are on an NFS volume?  (nothing will get corrupted?)

Any insights would be helpful.

Stephen

Post by Allan 'Norm' Cra » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I was thinking about moving the raid array over to a Linux box
>and then run macNFS on my macs (to mount NFS volumes on the mac)
>BUT I have a concern with the Mac files.  Can Linux handle the
>data/resource forks of Mac files?  Is this evena problem?  Say I
>have one logical volume that is an application volume (has all
>the programs on it for the mac) can I easily RUN those programs
>even though they are on an NFS volume?  (nothing will get corrupted?)

Another idea, if you're moving the disks to Linux systems, is to set up
the Linux system as an AppleTalk server. It's surprisingly easy with Linux
kernel 2.0, which has AppleTalk ddp built in. I currently store all of my
files from my mac on my larger Linux hard drive (80M in the Mac vs 850M in
the Linux machine). It works very well and the Mac files all stay nicely
intact in the hostile enviroment of an ext2 formatted IDE disk. :)

--
Allan "Norm" Crain  | http://web.idea-inc.com/~allanc | Property of

Post by nexu » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>I was thinking about moving the raid array over to a Linux box
>>and then run macNFS on my macs (to mount NFS volumes on the mac)
>Another idea, if you're moving the disks to Linux systems, is to set up
>the Linux system as an AppleTalk server. It's surprisingly easy with Linux
>kernel 2.0, which has AppleTalk ddp built in. I currently store all of my
>files from my mac on my larger Linux hard drive (80M in the Mac vs 850M in
>the Linux machine). It works very well and the Mac files all stay nicely
>intact in the hostile enviroment of an ext2 formatted IDE disk. :)

Stay nicely intact .. unless you run out of disk space and run the server
as root; The resource forks wont be written to file, and the afp daemon
freaks out, leaving the filehandle on that empty (0 length) resource
fork open. Soon enough,NR_OPEN is reached, too many open files, and
you have a problem.

... it could happen.

Cees

1. Can Linux (as a server) store Macintosh files ?

There are two options that I know of:  CAP and netatalk.

CAP is big, slow, hard to compile, and you need to get patches from
various sites to get it to work on linux.  Once I got it going, though,
it was reliable.

netatalk, on the otherhand, is small, compiles cleanly on linux, there's
already a kernel config option for it, and it's fast.  I had no problem
setting it up, and it is reliable.

You can get netatalk from ftp://terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu/unix/netatalk
I can't remember where to get CAP, but you could probably find out in
comp.protocols.appletalk.

btw, both do appletalk network volumes, allow you to set up printers
connected to the unix host as appletalk network printers, and allow
you to print to appletalk printers from your unix host.

--
Glenn Lamb

2. RAID-0 -- What's wrong, why did it abort?

3. mounting Macintosh volumes under Linux?

4. How to limit vsftpd to a set of IP addresses

5. Q: NFS, Linux -> Macintosh

6. ISDN BitSurfr Pro -- 2B Connection only yields 1B Thruput

7. Help mount nfs from linux to macintosh please

8. Can't print postscript

9. where is association between a fs logical volume and his current log stored

10. NFS server won't share files outside of root volume

11. Mounting Volume Manager File Systems without the Volume Manager software

12. Restoring volume Group device files w/out restoring actual volume groups

13. How to Recover files in a Volume Group and Logical Volume (VG, LV)