Sportster ISDN - Compatible?

Post by bjacque » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

        Does anybody out there know how I could get the USR Sportster
ISDN working under linux?  I seem to remember a driver being out there
somewhere, but I don't know where (perhaps a kernel patch?).

Thanx,
Brendan
Brendan Jacques, LAN Analyst
Adaptec, Inc.

The opinions expressed in this posting are my own,
and do not reflect any official position of
Adaptec Inc.

Sportster ISDN - Compatible?

Post by Gregory Abb » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

The Sportster 128k ISDN worked wonderfully for me under Windows NT . .
but now I'm running cable!!

It I had to do ISDN again with Linux . . I'd probably get a Netgear
RT328 ISDN Router!!

-----------------message separator------------------

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:35:47 GMT,

>    Does anybody out there know how I could get the USR Sportster
>ISDN working under linux?  I seem to remember a driver being out there
>somewhere, but I don't know where (perhaps a kernel patch?).

>Thanx,
>Brendan
>Brendan Jacques, LAN Analyst
>Adaptec, Inc.

>The opinions expressed in this posting are my own,
>and do not reflect any official position of
>Adaptec Inc.

Sportster ISDN - Compatible?

Post by brian beunin » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

If it is the internal ISDN modem, the last time I check it was about $100
from some company I don't remember.

If it is an external ISDN modem, it should work fine.  Just treat it like
any external modem.

Brian Beuning

>         Does anybody out there know how I could get the USR Sportster
> ISDN working under linux?  I seem to remember a driver being out there
> somewhere, but I don't know where (perhaps a kernel patch?).

> Thanx,
> Brendan
> Brendan Jacques, LAN Analyst
> Adaptec, Inc.

> The opinions expressed in this posting are my own,
> and do not reflect any official position of
> Adaptec Inc.

Sportster ISDN - Compatible?

Post by Gregory Abb » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'd like to:  a) find out if any Linux drivers are being developed for
the USR 128K ISDN adapter . . or:  b) advocate their development.
Having called USR (now 3COM) . . I was told that the card is not
supported under Linux.

ISDN met my expectation for performance while browsing/downloading and
this card worked marvelously in the past under NT . . and I'd like the
capability to use it again should I have to move to an area where
Cable isn't available.

http://www.3com.com/products/dsheets/400390.html

ISDN is typically expensive and sold as a 'metered' service (I had a
60/30 plan with Bell Atlantic - 60hrs of 1B or 30hrs of 2B for

(unlimited 3Mbps for US$42.95/month).

http://www.mot.com/MIMS/Multimedia/prod/specs/modemSpec.html

A desireable feature of the driver would be 'connect on demand' where
the adapter would be connected following a request out past the
gateway, and then drop the line after a 2-3 min period of inactivity.
This is feasible since ISDN is synchronous digital and typically
brings up the connection in 1-2 seconds.

Any thoughts/comments on this subject??

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:35:47 GMT,

>    Does anybody out there know how I could get the USR Sportster
>ISDN working under linux?  I seem to remember a driver being out there
>somewhere, but I don't know where (perhaps a kernel patch?).

>Thanx,
>Brendan
>Brendan Jacques, LAN Analyst
>Adaptec, Inc.

>The opinions expressed in this posting are my own,
>and do not reflect any official position of
>Adaptec Inc.

Sportster ISDN - Compatible?

Post by Matteo Lunard » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:35:47 GMT,

> Does anybody out there know how I could get the USR Sportster
> ISDN working under linux?  I seem to remember a driver being out
> there somewhere, but I don't know where (perhaps a kernel
> patch?).

I've searched for this me too, and i've found that it's supported from
kernel 2.1.92 and next, and it'll be supported by the 2.0.36 kernel (now
it's supported by the 2.0.36pre13, i think).
If you have a Suse, on ftp.suse.com there's a hisax-2.5.o precompiled
module for kernel 2.0.33, i still didn't try it because i've a redhat
with 2.0.34.

Bye,
Matteo Lunardi.                  _  _/\___/\_
   _____________________________/ \/ Genova  \_
~~ mailto:matteo.lunardi (at]usa.net ~~~~ Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. USR Sportster Voice 33+ --- compatible with vgetty?

I need to purchase a modem.  Preferably, it would be able to run vgetty
and a full-duplex speakerphone.   Is the USR Sportster Voice 33+ a good
choice, are there better choices (that will be upgradeable to 53K when
the time comes)?  Is installation painful?

/ivo welch

--

--      ----------------------------    --

2. Help with .tar.gz

3. (NEWBIE) USR Sportster 28.8 and ISDN central

4. userdb error?

5. USR Sportster ISDN 128K support?

6. Programinng issue Linux x86/Solaris 64bit

7. Sportster Internal ISDN setup

8. System wide http proxy ?

9. Sportster 128 ISDN driver?

10. USR Sportster ISDN 128 K

11. Linux driver-USR Sportster 128k ISDN???

12. USR Sportster ISDN

13. Sportster ISDN Drivers