Online now w/Debian, but no Lynx???

Post by joemorris.. » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:13:57

When I fire up lynx, no matter what website I try, it is always the
same: after I give it a URL, it looks and apparently finds the URL,
sends a request and then it just stops with this message:

http request sent; waiting for response

And then it just sits there like that. Nothing else..

Well, thanks to everyone who helped get my PPP running, because it now
is apparently online, but still can't surf....where are the lynx
gurus? :-)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Online now w/Debian, but no Lynx???

Post by Each » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 13:06:18

Quote:> When I fire up lynx, no matter what website I try, it is always the
> same: after I give it a URL, it looks and apparently finds the URL,
> sends a request and then it just stops with this message:

> http request sent; waiting for response

> And then it just sits there like that. Nothing else..

> Well, thanks to everyone who helped get my PPP running, because it now
> is apparently online, but still can't surf....where are the lynx
> gurus? :-)

Try this:

  ping -c 1 www.telus.com

Does that work?

Personally I doubt it.  I don't think you've set up networking
adequately.

What's in your /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hostname, /etc/ppp/*

What is in /var/log/messages when you connect to the net?

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.

1. How to read online docs with lynx

From some time ago:

From robertl Wed Aug 09 18:31:52 1995
From: robertl
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
Subject: Trick for scohelp in character mode.

While this is pretty unimaginative stuff, someone else is bound to
get some mileage out of this trick.

Scohelp is cool, but it requires X.  Ever wonder how you can use it
from a character session?  How can you use it from a non-SCO system?

Grab Lynx [ it's available on ftp.sco.com:/TLS/tls045* ].  Point
it at port 457 [ assuming your server is running the defaults,
substitue if necessary ] of your OpenServer 5 Doc Server.

For example:
        lynx http://waldo:457/dochome.html
Can you get to everything this way?  No.  Can you get all the cool
diagrams, etc?  no.    Can you bail your butt out of a nasty
situation over a modem while your books are at the office?  No
promises, but this will help improve your odds.

Enjoy.

------

Shortly after I posted this, Bela mentioned the 'cm_help' command as
an alternative.  I didn't save his post, but it's pretty obvious once
you see it....

--
Robert Lipe

2. Socket problem with PCMCIA package

3. reading online docs using lynx under osr5

4. TCP "Broken pipe" programming error

5. Debian 3.0: which ssl capable wget or lynx?

6. NFS/pormapper security bug and fix (Linux)

7. Trouble setting up lynx with Debian 2.2

8. Just Learning Linux - Need Networking Help

9. lynx works, but lynx -source fails ?!?

10. Debian - PPP problems. Can't get online.

11. Debian online help under X

12. JobConnectEurope & The Contractor's Club Now On-Line, Thousands of IT Jobs On-Line..

13. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux