DE200 Ethernet Card -Setup problems

Post by Dr O J Pool » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have some cards, made by Digital, and I presume they are DE200s as this
number is stamped on the back.  I have no documentation for the cards.

Now, I have put one into my Linux box (486 66DX, 32MB) and the machine
boots OK, with the light on the card being lit up during boot up.  The
computer takes a little longer to boot though.

Then, I compiled my kernel with the DE200 options enabled.

BUT, the card is not being detected.  An error message is given stating
that the Newtwork may be unreachable or that I have not got the drivers
for my card compiled in the kernal.

By the way I have not got the card connected to a network yet, I intend
to construct the network when I have got the card working, as I have
another computer to deal with as well.

QUESTIONS>

Has anyone else got DE200s working?  If so, got any tips?

What do all the dip switch setings do on the card?

Does this lack of functionality sound like a H/W or S/W problem?

Cheers,

Owen.

DE200 Ethernet Card -Setup problems

Post by Soren Riis » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have some cards, made by Digital, and I presume they are DE200s as this
> number is stamped on the back.  I have no documentation for the cards.
> BUT, the card is not being detected.  An error message is given stating
> that the Newtwork may be unreachable or that I have not got the drivers
> for my card compiled in the kernal.

Where/when are you getting this error? ifconfig? when you do ping?

Quote:> Does this lack of functionality sound like a H/W or S/W problem?

S/W problem.

When installing a new network card, you need to configure the device, address
and the route etc.
On RH this can be done for you by adding a few files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, but it may be better to do it manually first
time to make sure everything is working;

First do "dmesg" and check that you got something like;
    eth0: DE200 at 0x0300, h/w address 08:00:2b:2c:09:e4,
        has 64kB RAM at 0xd0000 and uses IRQ5.
If yes, then the kernel have found your device, and you are ready to try to
configure the useage.
If no, there is either something wrong with your hardware, or you have not
build your kernel correctly.

   ifconfig - will list you all devices which have been configured til now.

if eth0 is not included (and it is unlikely it is), then try to add it by
doing;

   ifconfig eth0 192.168.99.99

you should not be able to see it using ifconfig.
You should now configure the routing table to route all non-local trafic over
the eth0 device.  You do this by;

  route add -net 192.168.99.99 eth0

Check/list your routing table by
  route -n

Once you got it up and running the manual way, you need to configure it
permanently in your boot setup.
You can do that by adding all the configuration commands to you rc.local
scrip, or better your the network scripts already on your system (assuming
your using RH), all you need is to make sure you got the two following files;

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
   DEVICE=eth0
   IPADDR=192.168.xx.yy   (replace xx and yy with your real network address)
   NETMASK=255.255.255.0
   NETWORK=192.168.x.0  (replace x with your real subnet address)
   BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
   ONBOOT=yes
   BOOTPROTO=none

/etc/sysconfig/network:
  NETWORKING=yes
  HOSTNAME=<yourhostname>
  DOMAINNAME=<yourdomainname>

Enjoy
Soren

DE200 Ethernet Card -Setup problems

Post by Larry Stefan » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>What do all the dip switch setings do on the card?

Go to ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/adapters/ethernet/ewrk2/docs/
and download the documentation for the DE200 adapter.

Regards.
Larry Stefani

1. Ethernet setup, DE100, DE200.

Help...I can can not endure any more!  All I am trying to do is set up
my windows and linux box as a mini network.  Got any experience of this?
Then please read on...

Background:

I have set up both computers with a view to networking them together
using TCP/IP.  The Linux kernel appears to detect the DE200 at bootup.
The Win 95 box appears to detect the DE100.  That is to say in both
cases there are no messages to the contrary!

System:

        486DX2/66 Slackware 3.1, Kernel 2.0.27, DE200 Etherenet Card

        486DX2/66 Win 95, DE100 Ethernet Card

        Both cards set up for thin net, and I have both card manuals.

Problem:

I have edited the appropriate config files in both boxes, setting IP
addresses, names, etc, and have set the gateway in both instances as the
Linux box.  Then I tried to test the connection but nothing is working.

This is frustrating because each time I have set up Linux TCP/IP before,
4 times, it has worked "out of the box".

Symptoms:

Linux Box - I can ping through loopback, but I can not ping the win95
box.  All packets are lost.  In addition, a (error?) message is repeated
at frequent intervals at the log in prompt and when logged in as root:

        eth0: transmit timed out, status 96f3, resetting.

Win 95 Box- Using the dos shell ping command, I cannot ping to the linux
box.  The ping replies with.

        Request timed out;
        Request timed out;
        Request timed out;
        Request timed out.

That's it!

Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this?  I suspect that this is a
problem in the Linux box, am I right?  Is the card being initiaited
properly?  There is no indication of this at bootup.

Finally, Can I use ping to determine whether or not my ethernet card is
working or not?

Owen.

2. activating swap on startup.

3. Ethernet Card: Does linux support the DE200, DEC Etherworks 3 Turbo

4. 2.5.59-bk10 compile failure

5. Ethernet driver for de200 /help!/

6. f77/f90? (and not g77)

7. Which ethernet card for a two card setup?

8. Solaris resolver

9. ethernet card setup troubles - EtherliLink 3C905C card on a DELL machine

10. ethernet card setup problem

11. Help on installation problem of Ethernet card/TCP IP set-up!

12. AMD PCNET Ethernet Card setup problem

13. 3COM Ethernet card Setup problems