Detailed description of network trafic

Post by Carlos Vicent » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:58:10

Hi there...
I was wondering if is there's anyway to monitor detailed network trafic in
the linux box (set as a rooter).

Thanks in advance,
CJMV

Post by S. Par » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:24:51

> Hi there...
> I was wondering if is there's anyway to monitor detailed network trafic
> in the linux box (set as a rooter).

> Thanks in advance,
> CJMV

Try iptraf or etherape.

Regards.

Detailed description of network trafic

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:31:02

01:58:

Quote:> Hi there...
> I was wondering if is there's anyway to monitor detailed network
> trafic in the linux box (set as a rooter).

> Thanks in advance,
> CJMV

Try, Ie.:
tcpdump or iptraf.

Michael Heiming

Detailed description of network trafic

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:40:49

Hi!,

> > Hi there...
> > I was wondering if is there's anyway to monitor detailed network trafic
> > in the linux box (set as a rooter).

> Try iptraf or etherape.

You might also like to take a look at snort, and if you want an overview of
traffic flowing to and from your system the ntop package provides a nice
graphical overview (but it doesn't provided detailed networking information).

The program 'ethereal' is also good to use to examine and capture packets
flowing into and out of your machine.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. looking for lp.c source or detailed description

Some Unix parallel port drivers implement adjustable line truncation,
linefeed to formfeed conversion (to provide a particular page length),
indent, tab expansion, and optional half-ASCII translation
(lower case to upper case conversion, and printing {}`|~
as ()\!^ overstruck with a dash).

Others do none of that nonsense.

If memory serves, PC/IX (ISC and IBM's sort of System III based
Unix for the IBM XT) had that sort of an lp driver, as does
CT/IX and 3.5x for the 3b1 (SVR2 based implementations with a
certain amount of odds and ends added by Convergent Technologies).
The man page for some of these seems to my mind to have been
virtually identical, so that driver must have been kicking around
for awhile with fairly minor variations.  I don't *think* that this
is the same as one of the older BSD drivers that does some of that
stuff, although they might share a common ancestry way back.
This was not a tty driver, although it may have used the old
clist facility that pre-STREAMS tty drivers also used.  The
translations probably took place in the function lpoutput(),
so that may be all I really need.

I'm trying to write a filter that does all that stuff in a manner
compatible with drivers that do, to allow consistent remote printing
between a system whose driver does that, and one that doesn't.

Does anyone have either source for the driver (typically lp.c),
or a really detailed description of how it behaves, i.e. better
than the man page, and with special attention to limits, boundary
conditions, etc.?  (Like what happens if you set line length to 0,
that sort of thing?)

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

2. DAT streamer

3. detailed description/instructions for using `format`

4. S in sbin?

5. Help - looking for detail description on signal_pending(current)

6. change home directory

7. Q: Detailed description of lp and lpr

8. SUN OS 5.7 ...shutdowns automatically

9. Detail description of my 800x600 mode problem.

10. Detailed description of (free)OpenServer packages

11. detailed description of linux socket filter and sniffing problem

12. detailed description of ports-system?

13. problems with TERM109 (detailed description)