trying to setup a intel netport express

Post by Dave Lu » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:03:00

I am having a little bit of trouble setting up a printserver. I cannot
seem to find the documentation that I need to get it working.

The windows 9x software says that the server needs a Remote Boot
Loader, I was thinking that TFTP would do the trick. Would anybody
have an idea of how to get this to work.

If anybody could help me, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

                           \###/
                           (o~o)
/-----------------------oOO-(_)-OOo-------------------------\

|     http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/1285     |
|           http://davelund.penguinpowered.com              |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

trying to setup a intel netport express

Post by Trey Water » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 08:57:41

I just finished setting up an HP JetDirect, so I will try and point out a
few things you could check on.  Since their purpose is similar, I will
assume that some basic functionality will be the same, but YMMV, and RTFM.

The HP JetDirect box uses DHCP by default to get an IP address for the
network.  Since I am already running a DHCP server, installing the print
server was pretty much just plug and play for Linux.  All I had to do was:
  +put entry in my dhcpd.conf file so the print server always gets same IP
  +setup a queue for the printer

In windows, I had to download HP's JetAdmin software.  I tried HP's new IP
Printer setup wizard thingy first, but could not connect to the
printer.  HP's JetAdmin appeared to allow me to set an IP to the JetDirect
box, so that it won't use DHCP.  If you are not currently running a DHCP
server, this is likely what you will need to do, although you should
obviously use Intel's software.

Only reason I can think of for why you might need a tftp server running is
if you are trying to update the firmware in the print server.  Unless this
is your goal, you shouldn't need a tftp server.

If you have any questions, feel free to write me.  Again, my experience is
with an HP JetDirect, so I won't know specifics about the Intel NetPort,
but I could help you with generic stuff :)

Hope this helped a little.

-Trey

> I am having a little bit of trouble setting up a printserver. I cannot
> seem to find the documentation that I need to get it working.

> The windows 9x software says that the server needs a Remote Boot
> Loader, I was thinking that TFTP would do the trick. Would anybody
> have an idea of how to get this to work.

> If anybody could help me, it would be very appreciated.

> Thank you.

>                            \###/
>                            (o~o)
> /-----------------------oOO-(_)-OOo-------------------------\

> |     http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/1285     |
> |           http://davelund.penguinpowered.com              |
> \-----------------------------------------------------------/

                 F u cn rd ths u cnt spl wrth a dm!

trying to setup a intel netport express

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:01:26

Hi Dave,

Quote:> I am having a little bit of trouble setting up a printserver. I cannot
> seem to find the documentation that I need to get it working.

> The windows 9x software says that the server needs a Remote Boot
> Loader, I was thinking that TFTP would do the trick. Would anybody
> have an idea of how to get this to work.

Can you provide a couple more details about your printserver?  What sort of
print server is it, and does it support protocols like BOOTP.  I suspect that
it may actually want a BOOTP/DHCP server rather than a TFTP.  You would only
use TFTP if you actually had to download a configuration file or files to the
print server itself.  I presume that the print server that you are talking
about basically just plugs into the network and acts like a network device
which controls a printer.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+

|   Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
|   PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
|   School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
|   MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
|   Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

1. Intel Netport Express setup

Has anyone been successful setting up an Intel Netport Express,
whether using SMB or remote printing or other means to print from
Linux?  I'm getting ready to try, but I don't want to waste too much
time on something that may have been tried and doesn't work.
Thanks in advance for any help. Mike

2. HW/SW Dealers & Manufacturers urgently wanted.

3. How to setup Intel Netport Express Printer Server ?

4. Mouse?

5. FS: Intel Netport Express EL Print Server w/ adapter - starts @ $1.00

6. Export of NIS+ ?

7. Problem printing on Intel Netport Express 100

8. Simple expect ftp script help needed

9. Remote printing to Intel NetPort Express 3-port

10. intel netport express XL

11. Printing from Openserver 5.0.0 to Intel Netport Express XL

12. Intel Netport Remote Print Server Setup

13. printing to netport express