NEWBIE NETWORK/PPPD PROBLEM!

Post by woodruf » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Installed Redhat 5.0 OK on machine.  Trying to establish ISP hookup using
netcfg command pppd interface.  Dials up OK but hangs up  after about a
minute.  At first var/log/messages showed various write  error codes after
serial established then disconnection.  After "tinkering"( thinking it might
be modem speed or packet size) after LCP timeout and connection terminated
getting "Receive serial link not 8 bit clean.  Problem all had bit 7 set to
0."  Then exit.

Appreciate any help so I dont have to keep booting into Win 95 to get a
link.  Thanks in advance Paul

NEWBIE NETWORK/PPPD PROBLEM!

Post by David Fo » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>getting "Receive serial link not 8 bit clean.  Problem all had bit 7 set
>to 0."  Then exit.

Hi "woodruff"

You need to add CS8 to your gettydefs entry -- see 'man gettydefs' for lots
of info.

mine says :-

DT38400# B38400 CS8 -CLOCAL CRTSCTS # B38400 SANE -ISTRIP -CLOCAL HUPCL CS8

It means :-

DT38400 is its name
#
B38400  38400 baud to issue the login prompt
CS8     8 bit
-CLOCAL use modem control lines (CD and DTR)
CRTSCTS use hardware handshake
#
B38400  38400 baud ---  after login
SANE    normal settings
-ISTRIP don't chop the top bit off
-CLOCAL use modem lines
HUPCL   clear down on hang up
CS8     8 bit
CRSTCTS hardware handshake

login:  prompt with login:
#
DT38400 lable to go to if this one fails

N.B. this must be all in one line --

cat /etc/gettydefs to see them all

cat /etc/inittab to see which one to change (S0 or S1 or something)

Dave

--
D. J. Ford

Hatfield, Herts                          Phone:   +44 (0)1 707 886 095
AL10 0PF, U.K.                           Fax:     +44 (0)1 707 261 836

Post by Matthew Parr » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> [...] after LCP timeout and connection terminated
> getting "Receive serial link not 8 bit clean.  Problem all had bit 7 set to
> 0."  Then exit.

set asyncmap to 0 on pppd (look in /etc/ppp/options).  the asyncmap tells
pppd which characters should be be escaped because your serial link
can't handle them - which in most cases should none.  This'll force
your ISP to send all 8 bits.

The LCP part is a timeout trying to get authentication.  I had that
problem with an ISP once.  The only solution was to switch to a
new ISP that doesn't use NT - or at least that was the only solution
I could come up with...

--

Matthew Parry

<URL:http://www.shoal.net.au/~mettw/>

"Remember that early release of `rn' that prevented a posting
unless it contained more new lines than included lines?  That
was actually a pretty good idea."
                                         Peter van der Linden

NEWBIE NETWORK/PPPD PROBLEM!

Post by Clifford Ki » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

You may not be logging in or authenticating correctly.  Check section 18.3
of the PPP-HOWTO .

===

--
Clifford Kite                                              Not a guru. (tm)

1. yet another newbie with pppd script problem - pppd response.txt (0/1)

and i solved this once and had it working, but now it doesnt. i am
going to attach the response from /var/log/messages.

i see where i think i got over the first hurdle, by putting  '/d/c'
after CONNECT...but

it looks like after the connection it wants this ppp-compress-21

another mystery to me is that this script worked! then,  it didnt
work.
i am running RHAT 6.0 i think the kernel is "2.2.5-15". probably not,
right?

what i was working on before this stopped workeing was
1) being able to log on to the ISP as a user other than root, and
2) automating the logon.

also i am confused as to wher linuxconf fits in. i am doing this stuff
just at command prompts, shall i do it in KDE/GNOME.
so lets say i fix this in unix with the right chat script. does this
affect the pppd so that linuxconf or KDE can also use it?

thanks for being there.
sam

2. Tape drive not found in the second scsi card

3. newbie pppd connection problem

4. Where to get up-to-date Netscape for PPC Linux?

5. yet another newbie with pppd script problem

6. Eliminating Creation of Backup File (*~)

7. PLEASE HELP, big pppd / network problems...

8. gcc

9. problems networking pppd

10. ISP and work network pppd demand problem?

11. problems with pppd-2.2.0c param in pppd-2.3.5

12. pppd problems------------>One answer and maybe some help---- - pppd answers.ZIP (1/1)

13. pppd problems------------>One answer and maybe some help---- - pppd answers.ZIP (0/1)