port forward port 80 to port 8080

Post by Bill Deega » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 04:22:48

Greetings,

How difficult is it to forward incoming and local requests to port 80 to
port 8080 on the local machine
using iptables Linux 2.4.18?
I want to start the webserver as a normal user.

Thanks,
Bill

Post by DARqCHIL » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 17:49:51

> Greetings,

> How difficult is it to forward incoming and local requests to port 80 to
> port 8080 on the local machine
> using iptables Linux 2.4.18?
> I want to start the webserver as a normal user.

> Thanks,
> Bill

IPTables will let you do that (as long as the kernel is properly configured)
theres also the option of having apache to change UIDs after it binds to
port 80 (most distros have this pre configured)

--
darqchild
"What? Me? Worry?"

Post by William Par » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 02:38:14

> Greetings,

> How difficult is it to forward incoming and local requests to port 80 to
> port 8080 on the local machine
> using iptables Linux 2.4.18?

Try
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --sport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8080
    iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8080

Quote:> I want to start the webserver as a normal user.

--

8 CPU cluster, NAS, (Slackware) Linux, Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Tin

1. Port 80 and port 8080

Howdy,

        I'm running Apache on my box as a non-root user, which means
it uses port 8080, but I'd like to be able to use port 80 (so I don't
have to specify the port in the URL). Is there a way I can do this?
For example, a small program that listens on port 80 and forwards all
connections to port 8080.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Perhaps I should ask if there's
a way to allow a user-process to use port 80.

Any feedback appreciated,

        Michael

2. Help! Emacs doesn't work.

3. Port 80 visible... Port 8080 is not

4. Copying X Windows output

5. Can Apache redirect requests from port 8080 to port 80 when running as a proxy

6. extension x HACMP

7. Port 80 vs Port 8080 for HTTP servers

8. Seek Advice....

9. Ports 80 and 8080 Blocked!

10. No response on port 80 and 8080?

11. mod_rewrite port 80 -> 8080