how to remove loopback interface on red hat linux 9?

how to remove loopback interface on red hat linux 9?

Post by Para » Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:58:42

hello,
   i want to remove loopback interface from my linux 2.4.24 kernel on
red hat 9. but i dont know what changes do i require in compiling a
new kernel without loopback interface can anybody help me?
parag.

how to remove loopback interface on red hat linux 9?

Post by Bob Hauc » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 02:00:45

Quote:> i want to remove loopback interface from my linux 2.4.24 kernel on
> red hat 9.

I have no idea why you would want to do that, but you don't need to
recompile.  All you need to do is "ifconfig lo down" and then edit your
boot scripts to not bring it back up when you reboot.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Post by P Gent » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:42:16

> hello,
>    i want to remove loopback interface from my linux 2.4.24 kernel on
> red hat 9. but i dont know what changes do i require in compiling a
> new kernel without loopback interface can anybody help me?
> parag.

It's not a good idea to leave it out of the routing table in most
circumstances.  You _DO_NOT_ want to do what you are suggesting -- it
will break the proper fuctioning of the network stack!  In fact, I'm
not sure it's even possible without _re-writing_ the stack code.

What problem is this supposed to be a fix for?  Whatever it is, this
ain't the way to go.

hth,
prg
email above disabled

Post by joseph phili » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 07:44:24

> hello,
>    i want to remove loopback interface from my linux 2.4.24 kernel on
> red hat 9. but i dont know what changes do i require in compiling a
> new kernel without loopback interface can anybody help me?
> parag.

What problem are you trying to solve/fix?

how to remove loopback interface on red hat linux 9?

Post by Raqueeb Hass » Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:34:30

Why on earth would you want to do that? Can you please explain the purpose of it?

Raqueeb Hassan
Congo(DRC)

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. SCSI question deciphering error message (1542C + Zip + Exebyte 8200)

3. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

4. Linuxconf

5. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

6. rem_drv

7. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

8. core dump problem

9. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

10. Red Hat 7.2 Beta lo (loopback) problem with new kernel - resolution

11. Removing red hat linux problem

12. Removing Red Hat Linux

13. Removing Linux-PAM from a Red Hat installed machine