what's new in netscape 4.5?

Post by Tim Holme » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I'm using Netscape 4.05 for linux, and I see on Netscape's site ver. 4.5 under
: the unsupported category.  What's new in 4.5?  The only reason I'd download it
: over a 33.6 modem is if it had something neat like MS Explorer's full-screen
: view.  Is it worth the download?

I like the new mailer a lot.  It's a big improvement over the 4.05 one.

Tim Holmes

what's new in netscape 4.5?

Post by Ville Nummel » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm using Netscape 4.05 for linux, and I see on Netscape's site ver. 4.5 under
> the unsupported category.  What's new in 4.5?  The only reason I'd download it
> over a 33.6 modem is if it had something neat like MS Explorer's full-screen
> view.  Is it worth the download?

No, but instead I suggest you download 4.08. It fixes some security bugs,
that exist in 4.5 (yes, 4.08 is made after 4.5, that may sound a bit
strange :-)

--

 |     IRC natura alienum est! Periculosum est! Delendum est!       |

what's new in netscape 4.5?

Post by John Strack » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > I like the new mailer a lot.  It's a big improvement over the 4.05 one.

> Does it allow multiple mail accounts?

It allows multiple IMAP mailboxes, not multiple POP boxes (it might allow
one IMAP and one POP).  It does not support multiple outgoing addresses.

I suppose focusing on IMAP support sounds weird; but there's a reason: 4.5
is meant to be an enterprise-strength mailer, and big companies are moving
to IMAP.  In theory.  Me, I run fetchmail to pull mail down from my ISP's
POP server, and then run imapd locally so I can read mail from the Linux
box, from my Mac, or from work.

|John Francis Stracke| http://www.thibault.org |S/MIME & HTML OK|

|Xton, Mists, West   |NT's lack of reliability is only surpassed|
|My LAN, my opinions.| by its lack of scalability. -- John Kirch|

1. Netscape 4.5 - just exiting w/o any 'error message'

In NC 4.5-release:

  Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator

  Now clicking on "Languages" unconditionaly, every (EVERY) time causes
Netscape to 'exit' ?! No error messages, no messages at ALL ?

Any help or suggestion ?

--
Plamen D. Petkov
First Bulgarian Internet Store

ICQ#: 2214327
FBiS:  http://www.bgstore.com

2. ldconfig - ZMAGIC???? (solved)

3. sun's netscape 4.5/Sol 7 versus sun's developer site

4. New Linux Resources Site with HOWTO's!

5. Netscape 4.5 and Java doesn't work

6. Apache: file redirected/aliased to cgi-bin does not execute

7. Netscape 4.5 doesn't work

8. can samba do this ??...

9. Netscape 4.5 doesn't do newsgroups???

10. After new 4.5 install - init: can't exec getty

11. Upgrading 4.5 Release to 4.5 STABLE

12. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?