smail 3.1.29.1 help?

smail 3.1.29.1 help?

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00



I am having problems with smail-3.1.28 (precompiled from Slackware 2.2)
dropping data addressed to a pipe, and decided to install 3.1.29.1
from source.
The config files appear to have changed significantly, with
transport attributes like "file=" and "cmd=" no longer recognized, and it
seems the files in samples/generic and the manpages have not been updated
to reflect the changes.
I'm hoping I built it wrong or used the wrong source or something.

I'd like to hear from someone who's recently obtained and installed a
working smail for a uucp leaf site.  Which smail*tar.gz did you get, from
where, (site and directory)?
Did you have to install and configure BIND to make it work?
What changes did you make in conf/EDITME and conf/os/linux?
Did you get a "no lex rules found" error building pd/pathalias?
What do your config, transports, directors, and routers files contain?

It seems others are having similar trouble, will summarize, TIA!

Cameron Spitzer in San Jose
http://www.rahul.net/cameron/

 
 
 

1. Smail 3.1.29.1 and Solaris 2.4?

|>
|> Has anyone been successful in bringing up Smail on Solaris 2.4?
|>
|> I've gotten 3.1.29.1 (on 2.4 101945-23) going for the most part.  
|> Everything seems to work, routing, local delivery, uucp delivery, etc.
|> The only problem is, as soon as an SMTP (ie telnet to port 25) connection is
|> made, the deamon forks, then the child instantly core dumps.
|>
|> I used GCC 2.6.3 for the build.  The manual warns that there are known
|> problems with GCC & Smail in the inet routines.
|>

This seems to be the problem they are referring to. I had the same thing happen to
me. I then remade it with Sun C and it seems to work ok. The only thing that
I found, (And it caused me much consternation and work.) was the way Solaris
impliments fprintf to a socket. This caused multiple packets to be sent for
some reply lines. The first being the message number and the next being the
text of the message. This cause my Mac Mailstrom clients to have fits when
sending messages. This was not the behavior on 4.1.3.

Oh well, such is life on the bleeding edge.

Chris

2. SMTP from WIN95 to SCO5

3. smail 3.1.29.1 delivery problems

4. initiator problems....

5. Linux 1.2.8 and Smail 3.1.29.1

6. TAO problem on cdrecord ProDVD

7. Smail 3.1.29.1 broken in linux 2.0 kernels

8. NEC 4x4 CD-ROM

9. Any users of smail 3.1.28/29 on linux 2.0 kernels

10. Problem with Smail 3.1.29.1 under Linux 1.3.12

11. Smail 3.1.29.1; From: line in outgoing mail wrong

12. SMail 3.1.29.1

13. Smail 3.1.29.1 & Solaris 2.4