SMC Ultra linux 1.2.13 -- Ultra Slow

Post by Phil Smyt » Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Tried to get an SMC Ultra ISA card going on a Compaq deskpro. Card
was detected fine, worked ok, but TCP reception was super slow.
Lots of RX overruns. Machine is a P60 so it's fast enough. Tried
different rambase, irq etc. Did a software reset of the card under
DOS. still sloooow. Final answer was to give up and install a 3c509
which works fine. I'd still like to know what was wrong with the
smc... Wierdest part: UDP (ie. NFS) transfers worked great.

SMC Ultra linux 1.2.13 -- Ultra Slow

Post by Zoltan LAJB » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Tried to get an SMC Ultra ISA card going on a Compaq deskpro. Card
>was detected fine, worked ok, but TCP reception was super slow.
>Lots of RX overruns. Machine is a P60 so it's fast enough. Tried
>different rambase, irq etc. Did a software reset of the card under
>DOS. still sloooow. Final answer was to give up and install a 3c509
>which works fine. I'd still like to know what was wrong with the
>smc... Wierdest part: UDP (ie. NFS) transfers worked great.

In my machine, this card works well. Exactly, the server (Linux 1.2.11+Samba, Amd 486DX40) and clients have SMC
Tiger cards Since they come out.  Ftp about 200-300 kb/sec, samba 550/450 kb/sec (read/write), nfs a bit slower.
Sometimes I have RX error log, but it usualy cable problem somewhere in the building.

Bye,
Lajbi

http://jht.gau.hu/~lajbi

1. SMC EtherEZ (Ultra emulation) on 1.2.13?

I have just changed machines, and although I'm still using the same SCSI
controller, I've been forced to go from an SMC Ultra network card to an
SMC EtherEZ...so I need new drivers.

HOWEVER, <http://amelia.db.erau.edu/ldp/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-5.html>
states that

How exactly *do* I set up SMC Ultra emulation under Linux, so I can just
get on with business? Failing this, does anyone have drivers which will
support the EtherEZ in its native mode? Bear in mind I'm running 1.2.13.

thanks

2. Ghostscript 3.51 problem

3. Adaptec 2940 Ultra-Wide Support for 1.2.13

4. DSL Question...

5. strange problems 1.2.13 --> 2.0.0 --> 1.2.13

6. Problems with portmap in RedHat 4.1 Linux, /etc/hosts.allow misinterpreted

7. SMC etherpower 10/100 & Linux 1.2.13

8. routing with two ppp connections on one box

9. slow routing on linux 1.2.13

10. PPP connection extremely slow in Linux 1.2.13

11. 13.6G 7200RPM Ultra ATA hard drive with Ultra ATA 66 Controller

12. 1.2.13: Unknown PCI Device for SMC EtherEZ..?

13. SMC Ultra problems in 2.2.13