Network restarts

Post by Fry » Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:57:49

I'm running a linuxbox firewall/router at home that is always on.
However when I power up a client computer on the LAN connected
to the router-box the network is dead, no traffic, no ping and
so on. I found the workaround for this is to do a:
ifdown eth0 ; ifup eth0 (eth0 beeing the nic for the LAN)
on the router-box. This "wakes up" the connection and everything
is fine. I tested both linux and winXP and in both cases I get
a "dead" network on powerup or reboot. Its slightly annoying to
go through this procedure everytime so any help on the matter would
be nice.

Fry

1. Network blocks randomly (no traffic) network restart makes it work again

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my network. I have two machines 1 Linux Suse
6.1 kernel 2.2.7 and an NT machine. They're connected with Macronix 100 mbit
network card using the tulip 0.91 driver.

Randomly network traffic stops and the only thing I can do is run "network
restart" with the Linux keyboard. (I run both machines on the NT display
using a X-Server). When I hook up a monitor to my Linux machine and ping NT
there are burst of network traffic every 30 seconds or so.

I've noticed that Netscape will cause this lockup quitte often but also
while working with NEdit and Perl the problem appears.

I already downloaded the diagnostics application for the tulip driver and
put it in a cron jobs to probe the status every 5 minutes. But there doesn't
seem to be a problem with the driver.

Disconnecting the cable temporarely doesn't solve the problem either.

Any clues on how to find out what's causing the problem?

Regards,
Willem joosten

2. VIA VT82C686 Problem

3. Intel 10Mbs card freezes at network restart

4. Windows has yet ANOTHER WORM!

5. DHCP - lease re-new needs NETWORK RESTART ?!?

6. v2.1.29 earily sound cutoff

7. network restart

8. fvwm2.0.42 or fvwm95

9. Linux's '/sbin/service network restart' equivalent in FreeBSD ?

10. Eth0 needs 'network restart' to work

11. network restart?

12. service network restart leaves 2 IPs for one interface

13. hostname and /etc/init.d/network restart