minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

Post by TCM » Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:58:18

Start minicom as root has this error:

minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

I use a USB to DB 9 serial port cable to connect a USB port to a
serial port.
That is all I do: running grub and
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

However, the computer do not dual boot properly (only boot linux),
eventually I get the computer dual boot properly, but minicom still
has problem.

Previously minicom works, so hardware is ok.
The USB software on the computer works because my USB keyboard and
mouse still work.

The only problem is minicom.

minicom version 2.00.0.
Linux version 2.6.8-r3 x86.

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:31:46

> Start minicom as root has this error:

> minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

Tell us why you think this is the correct device. The correct device is much
more likely to be /dev/ttyUSB0.

Quote:> I use a USB to DB 9 serial port cable to connect a USB port to a
> serial port.

Which device is that? Keyspan? It is very important to reveal this sort of
thing.

Quote:> That is all I do: running grub and
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

What? What does this have to do with the serial adapter?

Quote:> However, the computer do not dual boot properly (only boot linux),
> eventually I get the computer dual boot properly, but minicom still
> has problem.

What? Please choose one topic, and stick to it.

Quote:> Previously minicom works, so hardware is ok.

How did you come to that conclusion based on that evidence?

Quote:> The USB software on the computer works because my USB keyboard and
> mouse still work.

How did you come to that conclusion based on that evidence?

Quote:> The only problem is minicom.

Why did you bother posting? You have all the answers already.

Quote:> minicom version 2.00.0.
> Linux version 2.6.8-r3 x86.

That is not a Linux distribution version, that is a kernel version.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Post by Clifford Kit » Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:49:54

> Start minicom as root has this error:
> minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

That's a /dev filesystem device and devfs is considered obsolete (yes,
already) and will eventually go away.  It may not support USB, although
I don't *know* that since I've never ever used it.  More info regarding
it's obsolescence can be found at

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/

--

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
/* Bluffing in a poker game can win big; bluffing in a newsgroup

minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

Post by TCM » Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:42:13

Originally my computer dual boot properly and minicom work properly.
Therefore hardware is ok and the USB software on the computer works
because my USB keyboard and mouse work.
After I run the grub program, the computer do not dual boot properly
(only boot linux), eventually I get the computer dual boot properly
and everything else works as before, except minicom has this problem
now:
Start minicom as root
# minicom
minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

minicom version 2.00.0.
Linux version 2.6.8-r3 x86, distribution is Gentoo 2004.2.
How to fix this minicom symptom (which may be just the surface of a
problem)?

Post by Clifford Kit » Fri, 01 Oct 2004 01:39:43

> Originally my computer dual boot properly and minicom work properly.
> Therefore hardware is ok and the USB software on the computer works
> because my USB keyboard and mouse work.
> After I run the grub program, the computer do not dual boot properly
> (only boot linux), eventually I get the computer dual boot properly
> and everything else works as before, except minicom has this problem
> now:
> Start minicom as root
> # minicom
> minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

Okay.  Maybe there is a kernel command line parameter that you need
but didn't add when you changed to Grub.  Assuming you were using LILO
before, check it's kernel parameter configuration.  However I have no
idea what parameter it would be, if any.

--

Post by Floyd L. Davids » Fri, 01 Oct 2004 03:38:25

>Originally my computer dual boot properly and minicom work properly.
>Therefore hardware is ok and the USB software on the computer works
>because my USB keyboard and mouse work.
>After I run the grub program, the computer do not dual boot properly
>(only boot linux), eventually I get the computer dual boot properly
>and everything else works as before, except minicom has this problem
>now:
>Start minicom as root
># minicom
>minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

>minicom version 2.00.0.
>Linux version 2.6.8-r3 x86, distribution is Gentoo 2004.2.
>How to fix this minicom symptom (which may be just the surface of a
>problem)?

Start by ignoring Lutus...

In your kernel source directory, look through the documentation
on usb-serial drivers, .../Documentation/usb/use-serial.txt

Then you need to find answers some specific questions, which
will either lead you to a solution, or you can post the
information here and others will assist.

   1) Is the USB-RS232 adaptor being seen?
   2) If not, are you loading a kernel module that supports
      the USB-RS232 adaptor you have?
   3) What is the proper device file for it?

What do you see if you do "more /proc/bus/usb/devices"?  That
will be a list of USB devices being seen by the kernel.  Here is
an example of a device that is using a USB-RS232 adaptor, though
it might not be the same adaptor that you have,

 T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
 D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
 P:  Vendor=0403 ProdID=fc0b Rev= 2.00
 S:  Manufacturer=Crystalfontz
 S:  Product=Crystalfontz CFA-633 USB LCD
 C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=250mA
 I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=ftdi_sio
 E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
 E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

In the third to the last line is the key to that particular
device.  It says "Driver=ftdi_sio", which is the kernel module
that is loaded to access this device.  You can do "lsmod" to
get a list of kernel modules that you have loaded.

These are the various usb related modules that I have loaded on
this particular machine,

 ftdi_sio               25860  0
 usbserial              22828  1 ftdi_sio
 usbmouse                4416  0
 usblp                  10880  0
 ohci_hcd               14912  0
 ehci_hcd               25728  0
 usbcore                94868  8 ftdi_sio,usbserial,usbmouse, ...

In this case the interesting modules are ftdi_sio and usbserial.
If you don't have something similar, you need to determine which
driver supports your USB-RS232 device and see that the right
modules are compiled and loaded.  (See the usb-serial.txt file
mention above.)

Once the device is seen by the kernel, you need to know which
device special file is the one it is attached to.

The use of /dev/usb/tts depends on devfs, which is obsolete.  You
probably are not using it.  If it doesn't work, look to see if you
have the /dev/ttyUSB* device special files.  If not, use mknod to
create at least the first one or two of them (see the usb-serial.txt
file for the major and minor device numbers).

In all probability your device is located on /dev/ttyUSB0.  If
that file does not exist, create it with,

     mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0

And then try minicom again, after you have re-configured it to use
the different device special file.

--
FloydL. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

Post by Paul Lutu » Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:01:25

/ ...

Quote:>>Linux version 2.6.8-r3 x86, distribution is Gentoo 2004.2.
>>How to fix this minicom symptom (which may be just the surface of a
>>problem)?

> Start by ignoring Lutus...

Idiot. I gave him exactly the advice you are now repeating.

I said this:

Quote:>> Tell us why you think this is the correct device.
>> The correct device is much more likely to be /dev/ttyUSB0.

You said this:

Quote:> In all probability your device is located on /dev/ttyUSB0.

Very original! Want to play the ad hominem game with me? Don't even think
about it.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Post by Floyd L. Davids » Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:37:11

>/ ...

>>>Linux version 2.6.8-r3 x86, distribution is Gentoo 2004.2.
>>>How to fix this minicom symptom (which may be just the surface of a
>>>problem)?

>> Start by ignoring Lutus...

>Idiot. I gave him exactly the advice you are now repeating.

>I said this:

What you did was post a huge volume of ego, with one single line
in the middle that had any value at all.  How the OP was
supposed to even notice that one line is beyond me.  Plus there
was absolutely nothing to help him understand the significance
of that one line in context with whatever else he may have (or
not have) found.

We can end this part of the thread too, the same way:  by ignoring
Lutus.

--
FloydL. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

1. Fatal server error... cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

I've been asking around on various newsgroups (and sending futile
e-mails to Caldera tech support), but nobody has responded about this.
I have a bunch of Linux books and one KDE book, but none gives me a clue
what's wrong.  Help!

In a nutshell, suddenly, as of yesterday (Sunday), I cannot get my KDE
(or even X Windows) to come up anymore, and I have no clue why.

The boot starts with the normal Caldera OpenLinux graphical boot screen,
but as soon as the kernel starts, the system switches to runlevel 3 (but
it seems to be running /behind/ the Caldera graphic boot screen, if that
makes any sense; I can't see the boot process).  At the end, I get a
text login prompt.

After logging in, if I type startx, it responds with a linefeed but
doesn't do anything.  If I type kde, I get a long list of screen output
that ends with:

   Fatal server error:
   xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

   X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

(It also writes that to .Xsession-errors in, I think, the /etc/X11/xinit
directory.)

I have no idea what's broken or how to fix it.  This problem occurred
after I installed the quake2 rpm and ran Quake II; when I tried to quit
from the game, my screen went totally blank.  I couldn't regain control,
so I did a hard reboot... and after that, I couldn't get into KDE or
even X-Windows.

(I don't know if this is related... but when the system boots now,
dumping me into the text-based, multiuser runlevel, it runs down to the
bottom of the screen as I enter commands, then sticks there instead of
scrolling.  That is, when I reach the bottom, if I type a command, it
just overwrites whatever was displayed at the bottom of the screen, and
the output from the command just sends each line to the bottom,
overwriting the previous line of output.  This continues until I open vi
and close it; then I have a normally scrolling screen, but it still
won't go into X or KDE.)

I checked, and there is indeed no directory or file in /dev called
tty0.  However, in the /dev directory, console is linked to tty0:  when
I type "readlink console", the system returns "tty0", and when I do an
ls -l, the listing for console starts "lrwxrwxrwx" and ends "console -->
tty0".  But I don't know if it was always like that, or if this is
something that was changed between Saturday and Sunday by that stupid
rpm.

Please, can any help?  I don't want to have to reinstall my entire
system and lose the whole StarOffice 50 setup, my Netscape
configuration, and so forth!
--

               Dafydd ab Hugh

2. some shell scripts

3. cannot open /dev/mem: too many open files??

4. Staroffice's status

5. weird atd: Cannot open input file: No such file or directory

6. More Games

7. libgtk.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

8. Adaptec 2940UW problems with 2.0.31

9. libXm.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

10. libmp3lame.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

11. OpenWin Filemgr: 'cannot open file: too many files open' ?

12. Solaris x86: telnetd: open /dev/logindmux: No such file or directory