PPTP VPN

Post by Brian Flic » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:12:23

How do I connect to a PPTP server from behind my newly installed Single
Network Firewall 7.2. I have read that I need to have a kernel that supports
masquerading GRE packets, and that I have to open, which I have, TCP port
1723.  I have the default install of the product, and it has kernel
2.2.19-5mdk.  I need to know what, if anything, I can do to make this work
using Mandrake Single Network Firewall.

Please respond to me via email, so that I get the needed info the fastest.

My Network                                                    Work Network
10.1.1.0
192.168.1.0
-----           ------            ---------------            -------------
| PCs |-----| SNF |-------| PPTP Server |-------| Work LAN |
-----           ------            ---------------            -------------

Brian Flick

1. persistent pptp vpn with pppd

Hi. I'm having problems with keeping a persistent pptp VPN connection
using pppd.

Here's the relevant contents of my /etc/ppp/peers/myconnection file:

pty "pptp [pptpserver] --nolaunchpppd "
require-mppe
refuse-eap
persist
noipv6
noauth
mtu 1350

I also have a couple of scripts to set up/remove some routing in
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ and /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/. Specifically, I'm adding a
route to pptpserver through eth0, and a route to my work domain through
the pppd interface.

The VPN connection is established and it works fine, as long as my
internet connection is ok (eth0 has a static ip going into my router
which maintains a DSL connection as its WAN). My problem is that
whenever my internet connection has a hiccup, the VPN connection
doesn't recover. So, after a hiccup, I can still ping pptpserver itself
(the packets will go directly through the eth0 interface), but I cannot
ping anything through the pppd interface. If I manually poff then pon
myconnection, everything works again.

Is this a problem/bug regarding the 'persistent' option I'm giving to
pppd?

What should I do if I want the VPN connection to recover by itself? Is
there some option other than 'persistent' that I should give pppd?
Should I manually write a daemon script which pings through the pppd
interface every 2 mins and redials it if it doesn't work?

Thanks for you input.

2. Is UNIX WS swap device a security leak?

3. How to connect to a Windows PPTP VPN server?

4. Attn: KDE users, testers needed

5. PPTP VPN on Linux 2.0.36 not working

6. Q: Recordable CD?

7. can't get PPTP VPN working with ipfw & nat

8. PPP/Internet and LAN - how to configure ?

9. Problem setting up pptp VPN to Windows LAN

10. PPTP VPN client can make connection but can't see network resources

11. PPTP VPN to MS Proxy Server How?

12. pptp,vpn and linux

13. PPTP VPN never connecting to server