Dual boot networked to dual boot

Post by dkselic » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have two dual boot machines. They are already networked when both
machines are running Win98. I want to network them when one is running
linux and the other is running Win98. I also want to network them when
they are both running linux.

Does one of these machines have to be set up as a server and the other a
workstation?

Post by DanH » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I have two dual boot machines. They are already networked when both
> machines are running Win98. I want to network them when one is running
> linux and the other is running Win98. I also want to network them when
> they are both running linux.

> Does one of these machines have to be set up as a server and the other a
> workstation?

Linux doesn't care what you call the machine, it's either part of the
subnet or not.  If it is, then there are configuration files you need to
alter to offer NFS mount points, samba mounting etc.  But just to
network, no.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

Post by Tom Easte » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I have two dual boot machines. They are already networked when both
> machines are running Win98. I want to network them when one is running
> linux and the other is running Win98. I also want to network them when
> they are both running linux.

> Does one of these machines have to be set up as a server and the other a
> workstation?

No....

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

Dual boot networked to dual boot

Post by dkselic » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

So in this case I could install linux as a workstation on both machines
and network them together. Would I still be be able to connect to an
ISP?

> > I have two dual boot machines. They are already networked when both
> > machines are running Win98. I want to network them when one is running
> > linux and the other is running Win98. I also want to network them when
> > they are both running linux.

> > Does one of these machines have to be set up as a server and the other a
> > workstation?

> Linux doesn't care what you call the machine, it's either part of the
> subnet or not.  If it is, then there are configuration files you need to
> alter to offer NFS mount points, samba mounting etc.  But just to
> network, no.

> Dan
> --
> UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
> Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

Dual boot networked to dual boot

Post by Donald Gord » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> So in this case I could install linux as a workstation on both machines
> and network them together. Would I still be be able to connect to an
> ISP?

What do you mean by "as a workstation"?

Don

Dual boot networked to dual boot

Post by dkselic » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

During the install of RedHat one of the dialog boxes asks if you want to
install linux as a workstation, server, or custom. I assumed that
workstation was a minimum install, server was everything, and custom was
anything inbetween.

> > So in this case I could install linux as a workstation on both machines
> > and network them together. Would I still be be able to connect to an
> > ISP?

> What do you mean by "as a workstation"?

> Don

Dual boot networked to dual boot

Post by David Bruc » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Note:  Installing RedHat with the server option reformats everything on all of
your hard drives.  Bye-bye win98 partition!
Do a custon install.  It's a better experience, and with RedHat, it's not much
of a headache.
Be warry of disk partioning if you haven't done much of it, though.
dave

> During the install of RedHat one of the dialog boxes asks if you want to
> install linux as a workstation, server, or custom. I assumed that
> workstation was a minimum install, server was everything, and custom was
> anything inbetween.

> > > So in this case I could install linux as a workstation on both machines
> > > and network them together. Would I still be be able to connect to an
> > > ISP?

> > What do you mean by "as a workstation"?

> > Don

1. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

I put one harddisk in my computer and installed Mandrake7.2.  I then
popped this disk out, popped a new disk in, and installed Windoze 98
on it. I then made this disk the slave (hdb) and put back in my
Mandrake disk as hda, and then booted into Linux (using grub).
Mandrake recognizes my /dev/hdb when I mount it automatically as
/mnt/win98. So, the problem I'm about to describe doesn't seem to be a
problem with the harddisk, slave setting, etc.

I then used DrakConf to change my grub configuration so that it
associated win98 with /dev/hdb1. I then tried rebooting, booting linux
through grub still works fine, but when I choose win98 through grub, I
got the following error:

Booting 'win98'
root(hd1,0)
Error: selected disk does not exist.

I assume that this error is related to the fact that when win98 was
installed on hdb, it was actually hda at the time.  Now it's confused
b/c it's hdb. ??  (said another way: I think the problem is confusion
over the fact that windows was originally installed when that disk was
hda, but now it's hdb.)

I recently read (somewhere on usenet) the following suggestion:

the "map" command under GRUB would trick this second drive (hd1) to
think
that it owned the first partiition, thereby allowing it to dual boot.

#################################
# /boot/grub/menu.lst - generated by Lizard

*** Linux lines cut out to save space

# for booting Windows 98

title  = win98
root  = (hd1,0)
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
###################################

So, I tried this, but not knowing anything about grub, I
think I used the grub command to install it incorrectly,
because when I tried to reboot, grub failed to work properly
at all, and I had to boot with my boot floppy.

So, how can I solve this? Is the grub map approach the
right direction? If so, how do I do it correctly (e.g.,
what do I need to type on the command line after editing
the menu.lst file?)

If not, is there another way. I had a similar problem a couple
of years ago, and someone suggested that I use a program
(which I don't remember the name of) that allowed me to
go in and (I believe) edit the master boot record on my
windows hard drive to tell it that it was now the hdb
drive. I did that successfully that time. Should I try
that again, and if so, what's the program called that
allows me to edit it?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. comments

3. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

4. gcc 3.2 and Java, when can we expect these problems to be solved?

5. stacksize

6. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

7. ODS 4.0 with solaris 2.3

8. help with dual boot, dual drive setup?

9. Dual boot for dual Hard drive (newbie)

10. Dual Boot--Dual Monitor in win98--X trouble with Linux

11. Help RH7.2 dual proc, dual boot

12. dual-disk dual boot solaris/win98 x86