533 mhz computer

Post by epa.. » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

   >>BTW, I have a hard time believing in $100 for a fan, even
   >for a 80 watt chip.
   >I don't think it's a fan per se...sometime back, there was
   >this contraption called a "Cool Stack" (I could be off on
   >the name), which had some kind of gel-like chemical inside
   >it that got very cold when some process (heat?
   >electricity?) was applied to it. They ran about a hundred
   >bucks.
   >John The Platypus

I think that's called a "solid state heat exchanger". I saw one at a
trade show. You run a current through the thing and one side's cold the
other hot. The world's smallest refridgeration system!

Don't ya just L O V E technology ?!?

Edward Padin  -- Systems Integration Consultant -- NYC, USA

** A clash of doctrine is not a disaster -- it is an opportunity. **

Net-Tamer V 1.06H For HP100/200 & OG700 - Test Drive

533 mhz computer

Post by xyzz » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

comp.os.linux.networking:64042 comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc:112030
comp.os.ms-windows.

>   >>BTW, I have a hard time believing in $100 for a fan, even
>   >for a 80 watt chip.
>   >I don't think it's a fan per se...sometime back, there was
>   >this contraption called a "Cool Stack" (I could be off on
>   >the name), which had some kind of gel-like chemical inside
>   >it that got very cold when some process (heat?
>   >electricity?) was applied to it. They ran about a hundred
>   >bucks.
>   >John The Platypus

>I think that's called a "solid state heat exchanger". I saw one at a
>trade show. You run a current through the thing and one side's cold the
>other hot. The world's smallest refridgeration system!

It's called the Peltier effect, not at all new technology, been around for decades.
Nonetheless, pretty cool :-)  They're pretty simple in design, really.

-xyzzyx