MRTG & Ethernet Interface

Post by Matt » Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:44:30

I would like to monitor the ethernet interface on my Fedora Linux box using
MRTG.  I would like to do this without using SNMP.  I have MRTG installed
and have worked with it before monitoring things using SNMP.  I just do not
know how to do this without MRTG.  Anyone have any pointers or examples?

Another thing I would like to monitor with it is CPU load.

Matt

MRTG & Ethernet Interface

Post by ynotsso » Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:53:15

Quote:> I would like to monitor the ethernet interface on my Fedora Linux box
> using MRTG.  I would like to do this without using SNMP.

MRTG uses a Perl-based SNMP implementation. I don't believe that one can
gather the network statistics any other way.

        tony

--
use hotmail for email replies

MRTG & Ethernet Interface

Post by vhu » Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:28:24

> I would like to monitor the ethernet interface on my Fedora Linux box using
> MRTG.  I would like to do this without using SNMP.  I have MRTG installed
> and have worked with it before monitoring things using SNMP.  I just do not
> know how to do this without MRTG.  Anyone have any pointers or examples?

Take a look at MRTG reference documentation:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-reference.html

Look for "External Monitoring Scripts". You could write a script for the
MRTG that parses output of the ifconfig.

MRTG & Ethernet Interface

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:39:47

1. MRTG && NET-SNMP

Any good tutorials on the configuration of MRTG with Net-SNMP? My SNMP seems to
be telling MRTG that my NICs are 10Mbit when I know they be 100Mbit. Does that
make any sense?

BTW, I have MRTG and SNMP up and running nicely I just have a few config issues
I'd like resolved. I'm looking for complete how-to's.

Thanks

2. ports

3. MRTG && SNMP

4. Fuji FinePix 1400Zoom USB camera

5. Linux redhat 4.2 & mrtg & compaq

6. macdef init

7. MRTG && NET-SNMP

8. 2.4.0 Kernel Panic w/Adaptec 29160

9. graphical interface for MRTG

10. sun multiple interfaces and mrtg

11. Interface "descriptions" and MRTG

12. Bridging ethernet interface through wlan interface in linux

13. Routing between ppp & Ethernet Interfaces