Mount of Novell 3.2 Server Volumes using IPX/NCP not possible using SuSE 8.2

Mount of Novell 3.2 Server Volumes using IPX/NCP not possible using SuSE 8.2

Post by Dr. rer.nat. Stefan Langenber » Sat, 17 May 2003 23:17:08

Hi,

I'm using several Linux boxes together with some Novell 3.2 Servers im
the same Token-Ring subnet.

Up to SuSE Linux 7.1, I was able to mount the Novell Servers on the
filesystem of the Linux box by issuing the commands:

  ipx_configure --auto_interface=on --auto_primary=on
  sleep 10s

However, after upgrading to SuSE Linux 8.2, the same procedure failed
stating:

  Server not found (0x8847) when trying to find <Server>

Now I tried to configure the IPX-Protocol manually by using the command

  ipx_interface add tr0 802.2 0A100800

The IPX-binding seems to work, since cat /proc/net/ipx_interface shows:

Network    Node_Address   Primary  Device     Frame_Type
0A100800   000629C1B034   Yes      tr0        802.2

However, slist or ncpmount still fails. I also tested the other frame
types
802.3, 802.2TR, SNAP, EtherII with the same result (0x8847).

Any helpful suggestions?

Best Regards Stefan Langenberg
--

Zentralbereich fr Information und Steuerung, Uniklinikum Bonn

  langenberg.vcf
< 1K Download

Mount of Novell 3.2 Server Volumes using IPX/NCP not possible using SuSE 8.2

Post by Barr » Thu, 22 May 2003 12:55:21

On Fri, 16 May 2003 16:17:08 +0200, "Dr. rer.nat. Stefan Langenberg"

>Hi,

>I'm using several Linux boxes together with some Novell 3.2 Servers im
>the same Token-Ring subnet.

>Up to SuSE Linux 7.1, I was able to mount the Novell Servers on the
>filesystem of the Linux box by issuing the commands:

>  ipx_configure --auto_interface=on --auto_primary=on
>  sleep 10s

>However, after upgrading to SuSE Linux 8.2, the same procedure failed
>stating:

>  Server not found (0x8847) when trying to find <Server>

>Now I tried to configure the IPX-Protocol manually by using the command

>  ipx_interface add tr0 802.2 0A100800

>The IPX-binding seems to work, since cat /proc/net/ipx_interface shows:

>Network    Node_Address   Primary  Device     Frame_Type
>0A100800   000629C1B034   Yes      tr0        802.2

>However, slist or ncpmount still fails. I also tested the other frame
>types
>802.3, 802.2TR, SNAP, EtherII with the same result (0x8847).

>Any helpful suggestions?

>Best Regards Stefan Langenberg

Try passing the -A parameter to ncpmount - i.e
ncpmount -A <fully qualified domain name> -S <server> -U etc etc
I had the same problem upgrading from Mandrake 8 to Mandrake 9.1, and
the above fixed it fine.

HTH
Barry

Mount of Novell 3.2 Server Volumes using IPX/NCP not possible using SuSE 8.2

Post by Dr. rer.nat. Stefan Langenber » Thu, 22 May 2003 15:51:56

Quote:> Try passing the -A parameter to ncpmount - i.e
> ncpmount -A <fully qualified domain name> -S <server> -U etc etc
> I had the same problem upgrading from Mandrake 8 to Mandrake 9.1, and
> the above fixed it fine.

> HTH
> Barry

Thank you, I followed your advice but unfortunately even with the
option -A I got the error message

Server not found (0x8847)

IP is bound to the network card in the Novell-server, so the server
can be contacted by ping. But on Novell 3.2 IPX is the only transport
protocol.

Best regards Stefan Langenberg
--

Zentralbereich fr Information und Steuerung, Uniklinikum Bonn

1. IPX/NCP/NWCLIENT will not talk to network/ NCP/IP?

I have a Novell NetWare network which I am trying to get my RH6 box to
talk to. I have attempted to use the included NCP package with no
success.  I have attempted to use Caldera Systems' NetWare Client for
Linux to no avail.  IP works great over the same interface. I have a
hunch that the problem is IPX related. My NetWare servers are at the
latest patch levels and are communicating with one another and other
Micro$oft clients properly.  Does anyone have a clue?

BTW: Is anyone working on porting NetWare 5's NCP/IP to  Linux?

  jrbennett.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Installing packages created by yourself !!!

3. Can't mount Novell volume using NCPFS

4. Q: status of various Linux aspects

5. cdrdao problem using k3b on SuSE 8.2

6. Linux JDK1.2 and Xserver visuals problem

7. Can't Mount Novell Volume using NCPFS

8. Routing

9. ioctl call hangs -- using SuSE 8.2

10. Help with NCP mounts for a Novell 5 server

11. Q. How2 mount a NCP filesystem of a Novell server

12. Using NFS on a novell server to use as a mount point of FreeBSD????

13. ipx and ncp-mount