Server accelerator options: Squid, apache's built-in web caching or hardware "solutions"

Server accelerator options: Squid, apache's built-in web caching or hardware "solutions"

Post by lbrt.. » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:42:11

~
 I have read about Squid as surrogate server, but apache's httpd
itself has built-in web caching features
~
 Would you share with me your experience, if you have tried both
scenarios specially when employing virtual hosts and aliases?
~
 To me (and everyone else I guess ;-)) bandwidth is the critical
factor on a server. How important would be serving a page right off
the cache when it still has to go its merry way on a slow connection?
Relating to this issue, something that isn't still clear to me; does
squid serve the static gzipped content returned by the server, which
much browsers can handle?
~
 Had anyone actually gauge the performance gain you have while using
squid instead of just using apache?
~
 Thanks
 lbrtchx

1. Pragma "no-cache" and Cache-Control "no-cache"

Hi people. Maybe someone of you can help me !!!

I'm Gabriele from Italy.

We have just installed an Apache server 1.3.1 on a Linux 2.0.33
server. Our web site contains pages that are daily updated and so we
want the user not to cache them anyway. So far, the only way to escape
this problem has been to let these pages pass through a cgi-bin
script. By this way, pages don't get cached.

Before that we tried with META tags inside the document as Expires,
but it seemed not to work correctly. Now we set the server to put
Headers in specified Directories (the ones that contains pages we want
not to be cached) - we compiled apache with mod_headers. And so we put
this on access.conf:

<Directory /usr1/www_tmp/htdocs/tlm/mostre>
AllowOverride All
#  Cache-Control  - HTTP/1.1  Header (Explorer)
#  Pragma - HTTP/1.0 Header (Netscape)
Header set Cache-Control "no-cache"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
#ExpiresActive On
#ExpiresByType text/html "now"
Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

I tried this: that if we put Pragma header before Cache-Control,
Explorer (that use HTTP/1.1) ignore the last one. And Explorer does
the same if we insert any Expires header as the ones mentioned above
(we must comment them). Why? Netscape, instead, goes well.

Do you have any suggestions? Is it correct for you, or not? Should I
use  other headers or anything else?

And, how can I do not to permit proxies to cache these daily updated
pages?

Thank you everybody who'll pay attention to my message.

Ciao
Gabriele

2. VPN Problems with masquerading.

3. web caching and "Web Cache"

4. Netscape 3.04 Fonts?

6. Strange files on my system

7. How to track "Inode", "name" and "buffer" cache rates

8. Xaw3d - how to make .sa and .a from source??

10. "Can't Access Web Page" trying to access Apache Server

11. newly built kernel "loads" but doesn't "uncompress"

12. Need Apache help, "server-parsed" with "send-as-is".

13. "Cisco's and RPC", or "Booting suns from off-subnet servers"