Require an IDE Tape drive to Backup Linux Server, any recommendations?

Require an IDE Tape drive to Backup Linux Server, any recommendations?

Post by Tim Banne » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:51:55

First off I'm sorry for posting this question here.  I seem to be limited to
a very select list of Linux newsgroups that I can post requests to, since
servers and networks go hand in hand I've posted my message here.

I've set-up a Linux server using SuSE 6.4, it's great does everything we
need for 40 (including a few others such as offering FTP and Telnet to the
world for us, but that's a different matter ;)  Anyway I set it up on an old
IDE based P100, now we've become dependant upon it I don't have any method
of backing it up!

Any recommendations for an IDE tape drive that could backup 10GB's?  I was
thinking of the HP Colorado TR5 range.

Thanks for your time and patients

Tim Banner
Network Administrator - Bridge College

Require an IDE Tape drive to Backup Linux Server, any recommendations?

Post by Martin Gregor » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 21:09:18

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:51:55 -0000, "Tim Banner"

>Any recommendations for an IDE tape drive that could backup 10GB's?  I was
>thinking of the HP Colorado TR5 range.

Check the HOWTO for compatible table drives. Somebody told me that IDE
drives are slow. Certainly, according to the HOWTO, the IDE drivers
are only beta (Redfhat 6.2 Standard distribution). Finally, its damn
hard to find a supported IDE drive to buy.

I've just fitted an Adaptec 2930U SCSI controller and an HP 4/8 GB
DDS-2 drive. It's worked first time. No kernel rebuild, not an edit to
/etc/conf.modules needed. Stuck a tape in the drive, typed mt -t
/dev/nst0 status and there it was. tar worked right away too.

One thing to watch if its your own money; check the total cost (drive
+ tapes). Many cheap drives have expensive tapes and vice versa. Tape
prices vary over a range of at least 4x depending on recording format
and thats without considering name brand vs generic tape!

HTH

--

com       | +44 020 76379111

Post by Ian Mortime » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 07:36:38

:
: Any recommendations for an IDE tape drive that could backup 10GB's?  I was
: thinking of the HP Colorado TR5 range.

Onstream have an IDE drive with a Linux driver.  Capacity is 15GB/30GB.
Media are a bit pricey but claimed to be very reliable.

Let's see - it's at www.onstream.com - found it:

   http://www.onstream.com/desktop/di30_d.html

Ian