3Com 3c509B vs 3c509B-TP

Post by Armando L. Caro Jr » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I was wondering what the difference was between the 2 network cards (3COM
3c509B & 3c509B-TP).  Is there, or is one a subset of the other?

Also have people been successful using 3c509B-TP under Linux??  I plan to
install one of these cards on a 386 and another on a 486.  Any advice,
suggestions, and comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Please email replies.

Thank you,
Armando

* University of Delaware  *   WWW: http://udel.edu/~acaro          *

3Com 3c509B vs 3c509B-TP

Post by Geoff Alls » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I was wondering what the difference was between the 2 network cards (3COM
>3c509B & 3c509B-TP).  Is there, or is one a subset of the other?

I've used 3C509B cards just fine - they include all 3 ethernet interfaces
(maybe the -TP card is twisted-pair only??).

Quote:>Also have people been successful using 3c509B-TP under Linux??  I plan to
>install one of these cards on a 386 and another on a 486.  Any advice,
>suggestions, and comments would be helpful and appreciated.

I suspect the important caveat is to use 3C5X9CFG.EXE on the DOS disk from
3COM to setup the card for specific I/O port, IRQ, (and on -B cards,
interface type) and DISABLE PnP.  Otherwise I think you're almost guaranteed
to have trouble.

geoff

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution   Woods Hole, MA, USA

3Com 3c509B vs 3c509B-TP

Post by Eugene Nin » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

the tp is twisted pair, the other is coax.   Also I've been using one for a
while, but 3coms are a pain, they keep loosing their settings.  I recently
replaced a mb and my 3com seems to have lost its settings again, but now the
setup program locks up when I try to configure it.  I've going to find
something else.
Eugene

>I was wondering what the difference was between the 2 network cards (3COM
>3c509B & 3c509B-TP).  Is there, or is one a subset of the other?

>Also have people been successful using 3c509B-TP under Linux??  I plan to
>install one of these cards on a 386 and another on a 486.  Any advice,
>suggestions, and comments would be helpful and appreciated.

>Please email replies.

>Thank you,
>Armando

>* University of Delaware  *   WWW: http://udel.edu/~acaro          *

1. About PNP mode of 3Com Etherlink III ISA (3C509b-TP)

Hi, there,

I have tried to install RedHat 4.2 using FTP.  However, somehow,
it cannot detect my network card - 3Com Etherlink III ISA (3C509b-TP).
Is there anyway to disable the PNP mode and force the boot disk
to find the card?  If not, what's the best way to install it.  Should
I install linux from CD first and then configure my kernel to find the
network card?

Any hints or suggestions will be appreciated.  Thank you.

zjl

2. HELP with USB iomega 100 drive

3. help with 3com 3c509b-tp

4. Need some help

5. 3c509B-TP (1994) vs. 3c509TP (1992)

6. XFree86 bits per pixel

7. Some problem using 3C509B-TP ethernet card under FreeBSD 3.1

8. curses curses curses

9. 3C509B-TP NIC working!!!! Sort of.

10. 3COM 3c509b vs RH5.1 and IRQ settings.

11. 3c509b combo: doesn't find TP connector

12. Problem configuring 3COM 3c509B

13. 3COM 3c509b installation?