MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

Post by jmor.. » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all...

I work in the maint. dept of a manufacturing
facility.  I do the Autocad drawings that the
maint. men use to fix and build things.  I also
take care of the work orders that the operators of
the machinery hand in to use when a piece of equip
needs fixed.

We currently have a paper based work order system
that is very primitive.  It is a form where the
operator fills out the top half with date, name
piece of equip and what the problem is.  Then...
when the maint. man has resolved the problem....
he is to describe what he did, the date fixed, and
how long it took.  Then.... I get the form and
type all the info into a MS Access database so we
can pull reports out of it.

Needless to say...... there are many potential
problems with such a paper based system.  People
fill out the wrong dates... or wrong codes for the
equip.... or maybe the paper just plain does NOT
get to my hands where I can type the info into the
database. Or maybe the hand writing is hard to
read.

What we are investigating is how to improve this
system.  What we envision is placing a few PC's on
the shop floor where any operator could walk up to
them and enter the problem in direct.  Then a
printout would be produced that is handed to a
maint man.  Then the maint man could fill in the
paper as to what was done and give it to me.....
or enter the resolution straight into a PC like
the operator did.

We already have in place a MS Exchange server and
Outlook 98 on all the PC's on the network.  We
have been told that we could make a form in a
public folder such that the operator could fill
this in and it would then be emailed to a special
mail box, and then use VBA to "pull" the info off
the form and into and Access database.

The other option is to use a web server, CGI,
etc..... where the operator could fill in a form
thru a browser and the data inputted into a
database.

I do NOT know much abt any of this technology.
Matter of fact... I really don't know the
difference between a web server (intranet?).....
and a MS Exchange type system. <sheepish grin>

Could someone please point me to a web page the
explains the diffs between both approaches in
laymen's terms?

Also..... what method would you advise leaning
towards and why?

The people on the shop floor are NOT computer
savvy and we like the idea of them using a browser
rather than Outlook.  However.... we already have
Exchange in place.

As with all things there are trade offs both ways.
I am just hoping some of you more experienced
people would kindly enlighten us and give us some
knowledge and perspective.  Thanks!!

BTW.... we are NOT against buying something off
the shelf as longs as it wasn't thousands of
dollars.  Hundreds of dollars would be better. <G>
At least to see if the idea is workable.

We are somewhat worried that no matter how easy we
make this done electronically..... that the people
on the shop floor will refuse to use it and
continue to fill out paper or report problems word
of mouth. <G>

PS:  I am posting this in the Linux newsgroup as
well as others cause I know this intranet stuff
can all be done easily using Linux, Apache, CGI,
Perl, MySql, etc..... altho I do NOT know how. <G>

Anyway.... I want Linux users input on this also
as that is an option with us too. <G>

MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

Post by Izak Burge » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'd like to propose something I have played with, but never actually used
anywhere, maybe some1 else can comment on this or maybe they use something
similar.  What I did was to install Apache 1.3.x with the mod_php module.
php3 is a scripting language you embed within a web page, that allows you
to do all kinds of server side includes, including database conectivity.
As far as I remember it has ODBC, so you can use it to connect to an
Access database.  On the other hand, you could use a different sql
database, I use postgres, but you said you already have Access in place :)
The big advantage of php to cgi is that it is a LOT faster.

As far as I can remember the url for the php stuff is www.php.net.

hope this helps.

regards
Izak

                                ----==-- _
                                ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __
Microsoft is not the answer.    --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
Microsoft is the question.      -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
Linux is the answer: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Note: Mail from yahoo.com and hotmail.com domains will go to a special folder
and my not get read until much later.  I'm sorry for this inconvenience but I
get to much spam from people in these domains.

MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

Post by jmor.. » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to propose something I have played with, but never actually used
>anywhere, maybe some1 else can comment on this or maybe they use something
>similar.  What I did was to install Apache 1.3.x with the mod_php module.
>php3 is a scripting language you embed within a web page, that allows you
>to do all kinds of server side includes, including database conectivity.
>As far as I remember it has ODBC, so you can use it to connect to an
>Access database.  On the other hand, you could use a different sql
>database, I use postgres, but you said you already have Access in place :)
>The big advantage of php to cgi is that it is a LOT faster.

>As far as I can remember the url for the php stuff is www.php.net.

Thanks for reply Izak!!

I am personally leaning towards the intranet route
over using MS Exchange for this mainly cause all
the tools we need to do this can be had free or
very cheap.... i.e Linux, CGI, PHP, etc.  This is
true, correct??

As I said..... we already have MS Exchange server
available and even have MS IIS server at work.

But..... the above all costs money and learning
how to do it with Linux tools is very appealing
especially if I would ever want to develop an
intranet for my church, non-profit organization,
or even my own business someday. <G>

I am still a little unclear on how an Exchange
system is different from an intranet tho. My
understanding is that Exchange is a messaging and
collaboration system whereas an intranet is just
like a miniature Internet. Correct?

Does there exist any Exchange type system that are
free and run under Linux?

MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

Post by jmor.. » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to propose something I have played with, but never actually used
>anywhere, maybe some1 else can comment on this or maybe they use something
>similar.  What I did was to install Apache 1.3.x with the mod_php module.
>php3 is a scripting language you embed within a web page, that allows you
>to do all kinds of server side includes, including database conectivity.
>As far as I remember it has ODBC, so you can use it to connect to an
>Access database.  On the other hand, you could use a different sql
>database, I use postgres, but you said you already have Access in place :)
>The big advantage of php to cgi is that it is a LOT faster.

>As far as I can remember the url for the php stuff is www.php.net.

>hope this helps.

>regards
>Izak

Izak.... something just occurred to me.

I have too old 486's at home. Could I network them
together with 10BaseT.....install Linux on one of
them..... and make my own intranet at home for
training purposes?

I know very little abt Linux.... and even less abt
intranets.... but want and need to learn.

Could I setup such a system at home for training
purpose to learn PHP, CGI, etc??

MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

Post by Izak Burge » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

486's should do fine.  Only if you want to run a good web browser on the
Linux box, you have to make sure that you have enough RAM in that box.  I
remember starting X on a 486DX4 with only 8MB RAM, it takes forever :)

Also, while your at it you might want to have a look at the ocs (Obsidian
communication server) Intranet stuff.  It uses cgi and works quite nice,
although I have never really used it on an Intranet, I just looked at it
on my own PC.  You can get it at ftp.obsidian.co.za/ocs/.  Hey, its free
:)

You can also read the Intranet-HOWTO which should be in /usr/doc/HOWTO

To make a long answer short: Yes you can use 10baseT and 486's :)  I did it
once, except in my case I had about 10 Windoze PC's and 1 Linux box, the Linux
box was mine and the other 10 were those of a few stuborn friends of mine :).
The windoze PC's could access a database of mp3's on the Linux box through
Internet Exploder, and make requests.  The requests were played and transmitted
through a short range FM transmitter that everyone could tune their radio's to.
Now that I think about it, this might be a good idea for the office? :)

Linux is fun :)

regards
Izak

                                ----==-- _
                                ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __
Microsoft is not the answer.    --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
Microsoft is the question.      -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
Linux is the answer: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Note: Mail from yahoo.com and hotmail.com domains will go to a special folder
and my not get read until much later.  I'm sorry for this inconvenience but I
get to much spam from people in these domains.

MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

Post by jmor.. » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>486's should do fine.  Only if you want to run a good web browser on the
>Linux box, you have to make sure that you have enough RAM in that box.  I
>remember starting X on a 486DX4 with only 8MB RAM, it takes forever :)

>Also, while your at it you might want to have a look at the ocs (Obsidian
>communication server) Intranet stuff.  It uses cgi and works quite nice,
>although I have never really used it on an Intranet, I just looked at it
>on my own PC.  You can get it at ftp.obsidian.co.za/ocs/.  Hey, its free
>:)

OK Izac.... many thanks for help!!

Now .... I know Linux and it's free tools can be
used to accomplish what I want.

However.... since my company is Windows based.....
I am wondering if one can use regular Win NT4
(workstation version) as a platform for a home
intranet training setup?  Won't the workstation
version allow a limited amt of users* off
it??

Reason I ask is cause..... I need to learn how to
use Windows as a platform for intranet development
since it is * at the moment.  BUT.... I
need FREE tools for that.  I already have Win NT4
Workstation for use at home..... can I hang a few
more boxes off it a develop an intranet under it?

If not.... the obvious answer is for me to forget
abt Windows and use Linux. <G>

MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

Post by x.. » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

If you are looking at setting up an intranet or groupware solution,
you must check out the following links.

<http://www.zope.org/>
<http://www.enhydra.org/>
<http://www.locomotive.org/locolink/disp?home>
<http://www.webmacro.org/>
<http://php.indiana.edu/~scgmille/gamora.html>

Regards,

Clifford

Post by Bill Anderso » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> >I'd like to propose something I have played with, but never actually used
> >anywhere, maybe some1 else can comment on this or maybe they use something
> >similar.  What I did was to install Apache 1.3.x with the mod_php module.
> >php3 is a scripting language you embed within a web page, that allows you
> >to do all kinds of server side includes, including database conectivity.
> >As far as I remember it has ODBC, so you can use it to connect to an
> >Access database.  On the other hand, you could use a different sql
> >database, I use postgres, but you said you already have Access in place :)
> >The big advantage of php to cgi is that it is a LOT faster.

> >As far as I can remember the url for the php stuff is www.php.net.

> >hope this helps.

> >regards
> >Izak

> Izak.... something just occurred to me.

> I have too old 486's at home. Could I network them
> together with 10BaseT.....install Linux on one of
> them..... and make my own intranet at home for
> training purposes?

> I know very little abt Linux.... and even less abt
> intranets.... but want and need to learn.

> Could I setup such a system at home for training
> purpose to learn PHP, CGI, etc??

Absolutely!

Post by Dick A. Mill » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Hi all...

>I work in the maint. dept of a manufacturing
>facility.  I do the Autocad drawings that the
>maint. men use to fix and build things.  I also
>take care of the work orders that the operators of
>the machinery hand in to use when a piece of equip
>needs fixed.

An easy and cheap solution would be to create a multi-user, file
server based Access application that the maintenance and shop workers
can access from any terminal.  They would fill out 'forms', print work
orders, fill out the results section of completed work.  You could
then just pull reports or check to see if they completed data entry.
If they don't want to do the data entry stuff, have them print out the
work order and fill in the blanks by hand.  You would then have to
enter this data into your database before generating reports.

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. iptables for "local" network

3. URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

4. Help with FVWM: no GoodStuff and Iconifying kills X

5. Why didn't netbackup backup MS-Exchange Server files?

6. svga driver

7. Linux Based vs. MS Exchange

8. Zgv v1.3

9. Sendmail vs. MS-Exchange

10. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

11. Linux and MS Exchange Server

12. Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

13. MS Exchange with Netra Server