Does It Matter Which Card is eth0 and which eth1?

Does It Matter Which Card is eth0 and which eth1?

Post by Stan Kop » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm about ready to try IP masquerading, with two ethernet cards in
my linux box--one attached to a cable modem, the other attached to
the hub.  The IP masquerading stuff I've read always has the former
as eth0, and the latter as eth1.  Right now, with only the card
attached to the hub in my linux PC, it's eth0.  If I add the card
attached to the cable modem, do I have to go back and re-do the setup
so that it is eth0, or will it work just as well if it's eth1?

--
Stan Koper

     "The Bill of Rights--Ten 'Impediments to Law Enforcement'?"
         This message brought to you by uqwk and Yarn 0.92

Does It Matter Which Card is eth0 and which eth1?

Post by Frank Sweetse » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

makes no difference - you just have to reverse eth0 and eth1 from the
examples for the ipfwadm lines.

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.101  i586 | at public servers
When all else fails, pour a pint of Guinness in the gas tank, advance
the spark 20 degrees, cry "God Save the Queen!", and pull the starter knob.
                -- MG "Series MGA" Workshop Manual

1. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

Hello, I am a linux newbie, and have run into a problem.

I am using RH 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2.  I built a new kernel (to be used for
firewall purposes).  The kernel built fine and it booted successfully except
that with both eth0 and eth1, the errors "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and
"Delaying eth0 Initialization" come up.  I did not have this problem with
the original kernel.

Both NICs are Linksys LNE100TXs using the 169 chip.  The ipcfg-eth0 and 1
are set to activate on boot.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alan

2. does rsh read remote .profile

3. eth1 problems - eth0:LAN:tulip eth1:DSL:3c509 w/ipmasq (static IP)

4. Stange problem with HP DJ 895Cxi

5. eth0 and eth1 interfaces using eth0 NIC

6. X11 & Open Group's CEO

7. Need help with my eth0 and eth1 ISA cards (it's not what you think)

8. csh and stdin from pipes/files

9. delay eth1 initialization... why am i getting this??

10. eth1 and eth0 different networks and not accessible

11. eth0 loads fine, but eth1 doesn't