Linux Firewall and AS/400 woes.

Post by J. William McCarth » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello everyone!

I have a linux box running the standard kernel level IP firewall system.
I've got it set up rather wonderfully with two NIC's, one connected to my
inside LAN and one connected to my router.  I point the network machines to
it as the gateway, and it works great.  I'm using Caldera OpenLinux Lite,
based on the 2.0.29 kernel.

My problem is this.  I want to get to my AS/400 from the outside through
this sucker.  I think I'm headed in the right direction:  I've got it
connected to the inside network and I can see it fine from anywhere inside.
I can't seem to figure out the right IPFWADM command to get it to send all
traffic on port 2323 of my outside network card to the IP of the AS/400.

Any ideas?

J. William McCarthy
Pointless Interactive

Linux Firewall and AS/400 woes.

Post by Edward J Kalen » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:44:35 -0500, "J. William McCarthy"

>Hello everyone!

>I have a linux box running the standard kernel level IP firewall system.
>I've got it set up rather wonderfully with two NIC's, one connected to my
>inside LAN and one connected to my router.  I point the network machines to
>it as the gateway, and it works great.  I'm using Caldera OpenLinux Lite,
>based on the 2.0.29 kernel.

>My problem is this.  I want to get to my AS/400 from the outside through
>this sucker.  I think I'm headed in the right direction:  I've got it
>connected to the inside network and I can see it fine from anywhere inside.
>I can't seem to figure out the right IPFWADM command to get it to send all
>traffic on port 2323 of my outside network card to the IP of the AS/400.

>Any ideas?

>J. William McCarthy
>Pointless Interactive

If you have a real IP address for the AS/400 that should be reachable
from the outside, the example in the Firewall HOWTO for a mailserver
is good. Just change the port number.

If you are running IP Masquerade, you need a port redirector like
redir, ipautofw, or ipportfw.
---------------------------
Ed

1. AlphaStation 400 erratic power-up woes

I'm having some erratic problems with an AlphaStation 400 and I need to
figure out just how hosed this system is and if there is any way to
recover it.  I have experience setting up other AlphaStation 400s and
200s, updating firmware, etc., but I have never seen anything like this
before.

Hardware:
AlphaStation 400 4/266
Number Nine S3 Trio 64 video
72 MB RAM
DEC RZ26B disk
RRD43 CDROM

Problems:
- After powering up the system, it cannot be restarted for 15-20 minutes
after being powered down.  The reset button cannot be used.  If the reset
button is pressed or the system is powered off and then back on, all 8
diagnostic LEDs light and there is no video.  The panel button jumper is
in the 'RESET' position.  For grins, I tried the 'HALT' position with no
luck.  The current workaround is to wait the 15-20 minutes and never press
the reset button.  When in SRM, 'init' works correctly and self tests
pass.

- When the system is first powered on, the self-test often fails on the
keyboard controller.  If this test passes, a failure often appears on the
interrupts self-test and the audible 'beep' error indicates a real-time
clock error. On the occasions when all self-tests pass, the SRM console
appears and show dev lists all known devices correctly.  Again, once I'm
in SRM, I can run 'init' over and over again without problems.

How I got into this mess:
I started with an AlphaStation 400 with 48 MB and no HD that powered-up
reliably into ARC.  Intending to use this system for Tru64, I pulled out
two 4MB modules and added two 16 MB modules.  I also added a Seagate
12550N disk and ran the Alpha firmware upgrade from CDROM.

At this point the system powered up reliably, but I started experiencing
the 15-20 wait period between restarts.  Attempts to install Tru64 on the
12550N failed with SCSI timeout errors.  Messing around with IDs and
termination failed to solve the problem.  I have had similar problems with
that particular disk on another machine, so I installed the RZ26B instead.

After installing the RZ26B, the erratic self-test errors began occuring at
power-up.  Removing the disk and restoring the system to its original
state (except for firmware) has not solved the problems.  At this point, I
cannot get into SRM.  The RZ26B has worked reliably for me in the past on
a VAX.

Any ideas?  What should I try next?

Alex
--

2. help with innd!

3. Q: U5-260->U5-400 upgrade woe

4. PCMCIA not deteced - RH 4.x

5. Q: U5-360->U5-400 upgrade woe

6. name collision

7. Q: u5(300) to u5(400) upgrade woe

8. NVIDIA tarbal make error

9. PII 400 dual cpu system wont boot when set to 400

10. Converting AS/400 RPG/400 code

11. X.400 MTA, X.400 Integrator, NetCS-Software

12. mail to X.400 address via UUCP->SMTP->X.400

13. X.400 thru MASQ/Firewall?