SLIP error: "Unknown Server Error" ??

Post by Richard Cob » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm attempting to set up SLIP on my Linux 1.2.13 machine so I can dial
into Rice's SLIP servers.  I've compiled SLIP support into the kernel
and installed dip-3.3.7n (from the Slackware distribution).

A brief word about Rice's networking:
Our primary terminal server is called charon.rice.edu.  If all the lines
going into charon are busy, tho, the number automatically rolls over
to the secondary server, lethe.rice.edu.  So far as I can tell, charon
only has one IP address.  Judging by the /etc/hosts file on
is.rice.edu (one of Rice's many SunOS machines), where I'm currently
logged on, lethe has 3 different IP's.  I don't know if this will be
problematic or not.  Whichever server you get, things work pretty much
exactly the same -- you give it a username, password, type "slip", it
gives you an IP address (dynamically assigned), and off you go.

Anyway, back to the problem.

I went through the NET-2-HOWTO and did all the steps that seemed
necessary for a SLIP connection: added the commands which establish
the loopback address to rc.inet1, yanked the lines which run inetd &
other net daemons from rc.inet2 (I don't want anyone to be able to
connect to my machine, and of course I'm not always logged on).  I
grabbed the sample dipscript file from the howto, changed it slightly
to reflect my login prompts, etc., and ran it.  Oh, I suppose I should
point out that I have left /etc/HOSTNAME at "darkstar.frop.org" -- I
can't predict what IP address I'll end up with, so it didn't make
sense to give my machine a new name.  Also, I explicitly set the MTU
at 1500.  I know what it says in the README for dip, but Rice
distributes Trumpet Winsock for Windows SLIP connections; they've
preconfigured it, and that's the value they use for MTU.  So anyway, I
run dip:

# dip /etc/dipscript
darkstar: Unknown server error.

To see if it was a problem with my script, I tried:

# dip -t -v
darkstar: Unknown server error.

First off, what does this error message mean?  My local computer
doesn't know what the name "darkstar.frop.org" refers to?  It's got to
be a problem with my computer, because I get the error message before
I hear any sort of noises from the modem which would indicate dialing.

Anyway, if we can figure out what it means, what can I do about it?

Thanks a lot for your help, and I'm sorry I kinda rambled here,

Richard

SLIP error: "Unknown Server Error" ??

Post by Uri Blumenth » Fri, 19 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:># dip /etc/dipscript
>darkstar: Unknown server error.

>To see if it was a problem with my script, I tried:

># dip -t -v
>darkstar: Unknown server error.

>First off, what does this error message mean?

It means: read those blooming README files in DIP directory!

Quote:>My local computer
>doesn't know what the name "darkstar.frop.org" refers to?

As you correctly guessed - no it doesn't. So why don't you
assign a hostname to your host and put it in /etc/hosts?
--
Regards,
Uri.

<Disclaimer>
I'm not sure which upsets me more:  that people are so unwilling
to accept responsibility for their own actions, or that they are
so eager to regulate everyone else's.

1. help with SLIP and "unknown server" error

I've finally been able to use dip to connect to my ISP, which is IBM.
When I try to ftp, I get the "unknown server eroor" message.
This are some messages I get:
After I connect with dip:
CONNECTED 0.0.0.0 -->139.92.18.201
Then I ping 139.92.18.201 and receive "PING 139.92.18.201: 56 data
bytes".
After typing netstat -rn it returns
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Iface
139.92.18.201   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 slo
0.0.0.0.        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   slo
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       lo

 Here are my configuration files, at least the ones I think are relevant.
This is in my
/etc/HOSTNAME:

dungeon.ibm.net

in my /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost
0.0.0.0         dungeon.ibm.net dungeon

in my /etc/resolv.conf:

domain  ibm.net
nameserver 165.87.194.244
nameserver 165.87.201.244

in my /etc/resolve:

domain  ibm.net

in my rc.inet1:

HOSTNAME=`cat /etc/HOSTNAME`

# Attach the loopback device.
/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0

What else do I have to configure and where did I go wrong on these?
Thanks
Amir

2. DNS issues

3. SLIP, with DIP get "Unknown server error" - help

4. Any WMA decoder in linux so far?

5. tinyX gives "xinit: Unknown error (errno 0): Client error." error and dies

6. Dumb terminal problems? Read me.

7. dip error "unknown server error"

8. Solris 2.5.1 bug (completely dead) ?

9. Install error on G3: "error unpacking archive: unknown error"

10. "syslogd: unknown priority "24" " error - won't boot!

11. What's "Unknown error (errno 0): Client error"

12. "error 2 reading header: unknown error" - what is this?

13. Why "xinit: Unknown error (errno 0): Client error."?