Smail fails -- help please

Post by fran » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi, Linuxers:

After the faliure of compiling smail myself, I installed the binaries
from sunsite. (of course I made sure all links work).  Now I can send mail
from a local usre (not root) to root without any problem.  But as root, I
can't send mail to anybody else.  The message will be sent and nothing left
in the /tmp.  But as a normal user, when I type elm, I always get a such
message:  Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #7.
After the seventh attemp, the elm just quit on me.  Of course I waited long
enough to excute elm again, nothing happened.
Is there something wrong with my mailbox? or is there a config file missing.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

1. HELP CONFIGURING SENDMAIL/SMAIL ON INTERACTIVE UNIX 2.2 - PLEASE HELP!

To all fellow netters:

        I am trying to configure my machine which is running Interactive
2.2 to transfer my mail to a site that is willing to serve me as a gateway
(Lets call this system site X).  Allow me to clarify via an example. For
instance say I want to email a letter to joe who is at site A.B.C. I would

realize that it cannot resolve the address locally so it is a job for site
X to resolve.  My connection to site X is done via a UUCP connection.  The
UUCP ! address convention works.  If I want to send email to ted at site X
I would type "mail X!ted".  I would like this to be all automatic though so
that the mailer has to worry where it should go.  This would enable me to
have connections to the Internet, UUNET and BITNET.  Let me assure the
quick to flame that I did indeed RTFM so there is no need for that
response.  The documentation is lacking in its description of the
configuration.  The documentation refers to a great deal of BSD files and
directories that just simply don't exist under Interactive Unix 2.2.  This
essentially boils down to: "ANYTHING I CAN NOT RESOLVE LOCALLY SHOULD BE
SENT TO SITE X FOR FURTHER DISTRIBUTION OR RETURNED IF UNRESOLVABLE." I
would be very thankful to any one who could shed some light on this
problem.  I will be most happy to post a summary of the most effective
solution.

        Please respond via email to me since this is the quickest method of

the machine that I'm trying to configure so email will reach me no
problem).  Thankyou all one last time and PLEASE SEND HELP!

                                                Karl M.

2. Nameserver - Is it possible to return always the same IP?

3. Help with SMAIL - offen got meaasage about failed to reap child process

4. Stevens pty program on HPUX?

5. Sol24/SS20--Netsite commerce httpd dying (v1.0)

6. Help smail/smail+term problems

7. what to do with .AppleDouble

8. smail HELP!! "lock failed"

9. Help with smail problem please!!

10. smail, email and network help please

11. Smail is busted, please help...

12. help with smail/uucp prob please