newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Steven Wo » Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:14:50

Hi,

I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
"ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
capable of switching speeds...

Any hints?

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Sasa S Bak » Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:30:08

Quote:>Hi,

>I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
>order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
>I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
>"ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
>error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
>capable of switching speeds...

>Any hints?

Why setting speed manualy? Isn't your NIC auto-sense medium? It
should work perfectly well in auto-sense mode - it works for me with
lot diferent cards and routers (AlliedTelesyn, D-Link, 3-COM, Corega,
built-in cards and AlliedTelesyn, D-Link, Cisco routers & switche's)

S. Baksa

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:23:15

Quote:> Hi,

> I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
> order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
> I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
> "ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
> error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
> capable of switching speeds...

> Any hints?

Not sure how to do that in ifconfig (maybe your syntax is incomplete or
needs quotes around value), or how to do it in /etc/modules.conf.  Have
you tried using mii-tool (see 'man mii-tool).  Try it from the shell first
(as root, or 'su -') and see if something like following works:

mii-tool -F 10baseT-HD eth0

or if either full or half duplex would work:

mii-tool -A 10baseT-FD,10baseT-HD eth0

If one of these work, you need to figure out where to put an
/sbin/mii-tool statement in an init script after that interface is brought
up.

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Steven Wo » Sun, 28 Dec 2003 07:56:24

> >Hi,

> >I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
> >order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
> >I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
> >"ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
> >error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
> >capable of switching speeds...

> >Any hints?

> Why setting speed manualy? Isn't your NIC auto-sense medium? It
> should work perfectly well in auto-sense mode - it works for me with
> lot diferent cards and routers (AlliedTelesyn, D-Link, 3-COM, Corega,
> built-in cards and AlliedTelesyn, D-Link, Cisco routers & switche's)

> S. Baksa

My router only works at 10 mbps, so I need to lower the speed

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Neil Horma » Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:59:47

> Hi,

> I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
> order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
> I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
> "ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
> error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
> capable of switching speeds...

> Any hints?

ethtool is the tool to use to do this over the (IIRC) now depricated
mii-tool.  If you want to make the settings permanent, then use the
ETHTOOL_OPTS setting in the ifcfg file to select the ethtool options you
want set on a given interface when its brought up.
HtH
Neil

--
  Neil Horman
  Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Steven Wo » Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:20:53

> > Hi,

> > I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
> > order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
> > I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
> > "ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
> > error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
> > capable of switching speeds...

> > Any hints?

> Not sure how to do that in ifconfig (maybe your syntax is incomplete or
> needs quotes around value), or how to do it in /etc/modules.conf.  Have
> you tried using mii-tool (see 'man mii-tool).  Try it from the shell first
> (as root, or 'su -') and see if something like following works:

> mii-tool -F 10baseT-HD eth0

> or if either full or half duplex would work:

> mii-tool -A 10baseT-FD,10baseT-HD eth0

> If one of these work, you need to figure out where to put an
> /sbin/mii-tool statement in an init script after that interface is brought
> up.

I get:
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Invalid argument

Is it possible that the current driver does not support setting the
speed of the NIC?

The driver cd that came with my NIC has a linux driver (A C file)
written for Red Hat 6, and I get all sorts of errors trying to compile
it.

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Steven Wo » Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:24:45

> > >Hi,

> > >I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
> > >order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
> > >I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
> > >"ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
> > >error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
> > >capable of switching speeds...

> > >Any hints?

> > Why setting speed manualy? Isn't your NIC auto-sense medium? It
> > should work perfectly well in auto-sense mode - it works for me with
> > lot diferent cards and routers (AlliedTelesyn, D-Link, 3-COM, Corega,
> > built-in cards and AlliedTelesyn, D-Link, Cisco routers & switche's)

> > S. Baksa

> My router only works at 10 mbps, so I need to lower the speed

Sorry, I just re-read your post and I get what you mean now.
My router does switch between 100/10 mbps, but it is broken in that
connecting at 100 mbps does not work properly. I can connect fine at
10 mbps from WinXP so I know it is possible to use the router.

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:04:09

>> > Hi,

>> > I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
>> > order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
>> > I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
>> > "ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
>> > error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
>> > capable of switching speeds...

>> > Any hints?

>> Not sure how to do that in ifconfig (maybe your syntax is incomplete or
>> needs quotes around value), or how to do it in /etc/modules.conf.  Have
>> you tried using mii-tool (see 'man mii-tool).  Try it from the shell first
>> (as root, or 'su -') and see if something like following works:

>> mii-tool -F 10baseT-HD eth0

>> or if either full or half duplex would work:

>> mii-tool -A 10baseT-FD,10baseT-HD eth0

>> If one of these work, you need to figure out where to put an
>> /sbin/mii-tool statement in an init script after that interface is brought
>> up.

> I get:
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Invalid argument

> Is it possible that the current driver does not support setting the
> speed of the NIC?

> The driver cd that came with my NIC has a linux driver (A C file)
> written for Red Hat 6, and I get all sorts of errors trying to compile
> it.

RH 9 (or any 2.4 kernel) should have already had 8139too module that
should work for your nic.  You should have checked that before compiling
your own older module.  Hope you did not mess anything up.  Some systems
that try to recognize the nic, try to use rtl8139 module, which did not
work for my DFE-530TX+ nics, which I think have same chip as your 538.
But 8139too works fine.  Maybe the newer module would work better
automatically with your router without having to do anything.

The older module might not have supported 'mii-tool' or other methods of
easily changing settings.  Someone mentioned 'ethtool', but I do not know
what that is because it is not on any of my SuSE systems (maybe RH
specific or something very new).

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Ken Hoffm » Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:49:10

> > Hi,

> > I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
> > order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
> > I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
> > "ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
> > error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
> > capable of switching speeds...

> > Any hints?
> ethtool is the tool to use to do this over the (IIRC) now depricated
> mii-tool.  If you want to make the settings permanent, then use the
> ETHTOOL_OPTS setting in the ifcfg file to select the ethtool options you
> want set on a given interface when its brought up.
> HtH
> Neil

Do you have example syntax?

I tried this and can't get it to work.  I too have a screwed up router
that only talkes to cards aet to 10 with autoneg off.

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Sasa S Bak » Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:47:13

>> > Why setting speed manualy? Isn't your NIC auto-sense medium? It
>> > should work perfectly well in auto-sense mode - it works for me with
>> > lot diferent cards and routers (AlliedTelesyn, D-Link, 3-COM, Corega,
>> > built-in cards and AlliedTelesyn, D-Link, Cisco routers & switche's)

>> > S. Baksa

>> My router only works at 10 mbps, so I need to lower the speed

>Sorry, I just re-read your post and I get what you mean now.
>My router does switch between 100/10 mbps, but it is broken in that
>connecting at 100 mbps does not work properly. I can connect fine at
>10 mbps from WinXP so I know it is possible to use the router.

Can you force your router NIC to be only 10BaseT then your card can
autosens wich speed is on other end of connection. This works for
Cisco router and firewall interfaces but for other routers I didn't
have oportunity or nead to try. Which brand/model is your router?

Sasa Baksa

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Neil Horma » Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:09:48

>>>Hi,

>>>I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
>>>order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
>>>I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
>>>"ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
>>>error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
>>>capable of switching speeds...

>>>Any hints?

>>ethtool is the tool to use to do this over the (IIRC) now depricated
>>mii-tool.  If you want to make the settings permanent, then use the
>>ETHTOOL_OPTS setting in the ifcfg file to select the ethtool options you
>>want set on a given interface when its brought up.
>>HtH
>>Neil

> Do you have example syntax?

> I tried this and can't get it to work.  I too have a screwed up router
> that only talkes to cards aet to 10 with autoneg off.

does the man page not have what you are looking for?
Neil

--
  Neil Horman
  Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman
  gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1, http://www.keyserver.net

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Steven Wo » Tue, 30 Dec 2003 05:42:56

Quote:> Can you force your router NIC to be only 10BaseT then your card can
> autosens wich speed is on other end of connection. This works for
> Cisco router and firewall interfaces but for other routers I didn't
> have oportunity or nead to try. Which brand/model is your router?

> Sasa Baksa

I don't think you can do this with my Linksys router. (BEFSR41 I
think?) its a 4-port router. I guess since its just a home use router
it doesn't have that kind of flexiblity. (at least not from what I can
see from the configuration options)

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Steven Wo » Tue, 30 Dec 2003 05:51:54

Quote:> > ethtool is the tool to use to do this over the (IIRC) now depricated
> > mii-tool.  If you want to make the settings permanent, then use the
> > ETHTOOL_OPTS setting in the ifcfg file to select the ethtool options you
> > want set on a given interface when its brought up.
> > HtH
> > Neil

> Do you have example syntax?

> I tried this and can't get it to work.  I too have a screwed up router
> that only talkes to cards aet to 10 with autoneg off.

Ok, I have it working but I can't get it to startup with these
settings.
From an xterm prompt:
# ifconfig eth0 up
# mii-tool -F 10baseT-FD eth0
# redhat-config-network

the last line brings up a window that lists my ethernet devices (just
eth0 in my case) if I select that device and click "Activate" all
works well.

if I change the mii-tool line to 'ethtool -s eth0 speed 10', clicking
"activate" in the network config window won't work. Dunno why....

I did try putting:
ETHTOOL_OPTS=speed 10
in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file, but I just get
an invalid syntax error when booting up.

Anyone know how to "activate" eth0 from the command line? if so, I
could just  stick those commands in a init script somewhere.

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Sasa S Bak » Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:37:43

>> > Hi,

>> > I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In
>> > order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps.
>> > I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and
>> > "ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted"
>> > error.  I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is
>> > capable of switching speeds...

>> > Any hints?
>> ethtool is the tool to use to do this over the (IIRC) now depricated
>> mii-tool.  If you want to make the settings permanent, then use the
>> ETHTOOL_OPTS setting in the ifcfg file to select the ethtool options you
>> want set on a given interface when its brought up.
>> HtH
>> Neil

>Do you have example syntax?

>I tried this and can't get it to work.  I too have a screwed up router
>that only talkes to cards aet to 10 with autoneg off.

ethtool -s ethX  [speed 10|100|1000]   [duplex half|full]  [port
tp|aui|bnc|mii]  [autoneg on|off]

newbie: setting NIC speed?

Post by Sasa S Bak » Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:40:17

Quote:>> Can you force your router NIC to be only 10BaseT then your card can
>> autosens wich speed is on other end of connection. This works for
>> Cisco router and firewall interfaces but for other routers I didn't
>> have oportunity or nead to try. Which brand/model is your router?

>> Sasa Baksa

>I don't think you can do this with my Linksys router. (BEFSR41 I
>think?) its a 4-port router. I guess since its just a home use router
>it doesn't have that kind of flexiblity. (at least not from what I can
>see from the configuration options)

Ahhh, I don't know. I don't use that brand but answer can be found in
manual.

Sasa

1. NIC speed setting

Hi there,

does anybody know how to set the speed and media type of a nic? I
tried it with mii-tool but it doesn't do anything.

--

DELPHI Software GesmbH           Web: http://www.delphi.at/

Key fingerprint = 33A2 A4F8 E6B9 C83F 65EF  7FD9 A6C2 3EDF DD3B 2E59

2. Partition question

3. Setting duplex mode / speed for NIC

4. FTP status

5. setting NIC speed?

6. Another newbie

7. NIC Speed Settings. Full duplex vs Half duplex

8. Fastest X-server - benchmark reference?

9. hard set NIC speed

10. How to check/set ethernet NiC speed ?

11. Setting NIC speed instead of auto-negotiating

12. 10BASE-T NIC and 100mbps NIC to a dual-speed hub doesn't work?

13. Newbie trying to set up Linux with two NICs