ipchains -L is sometime very long to list all rules

ipchains -L is sometime very long to list all rules

Post by Christian DELAI » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:05:34

Hi to all of you

I'm running a RedHat 6.0 server with kernel updated to 2.2.17
I use Ipchains 1.3.8 for firewall and Masquerade and all is working very
well.

ipchains -L  is sometime very long to list all rules !!

It's not a problem but I would want to understand why.
Any idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

--

Cognition France  1 Allee Jean Image 77200 TORCY
Tel:(33) 1 64 62 99 33    Fax:(33) 1 64 62 10 20

ipchains -L is sometime very long to list all rules

Post by Hal Burgi » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:20:50

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:05:34 +0100, Christian DELAIR

>ipchains -L  is sometime very long to list all rules !!

>It's not a problem but I would want to understand why.
>Any idea?

Name lookups on the entire list before it displays data. Try it with
'-n' option.

--
Hal B

--

Post by Joerg Morbitze » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:54:12

> Hi to all of you

> I'm running a RedHat 6.0 server with kernel updated to 2.2.17
> I use Ipchains 1.3.8 for firewall and Masquerade and all is working very
> well.

> ipchains -L  is sometime very long to list all rules !!

> It's not a problem but I would want to understand why.
> Any idea?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated..

I think ipchains tries to nslookup some ip addresses, this
can take a while. In the man page of ipchains it says:

       -n, --numeric
              Numeric output.  IP addresses and port numbers will
              be printed in numeric format.  By default, the pro-
              gram will try to display them as host  names,  net-
              work names, or services (whenever applicable).

So try "ipchains -L -n"

Joerg.

1. ftp sometime slow to connect sometime ok

hi,

I've observed some really strange behavior using ftp. I have two linux
box (Red hat 6.2), one ftp server with two network interface a wired and
a wireless and a client just with a wireless adapter. What i want to do
is to download file from the server to the client over the wireless lan.
I have added entries in the /etc/hosts.conf on both machine, telnet for
example works fine but ftp sometime take up to 2 minute to connect and
sometime connect straifght away? What could cause that?

note that beacause my server is also part of a wireless lan their are
entry in /etc/resolv.conf for a nameserver. I cannot remove those entry.
what coulb be going wrong? and what can i do to fix it?

thanks for any help

regards

--
Jerome Corre

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. tar: directory checksum error???????????

3. serial output to terminal server

4. Converting ipchains rules to iptables rules?

5. Stack SIGSEGV

6. How to long one out if inactive for sometime

7. Simple unbuffered keyboard scan? How?

8. sco-list: arg list too long

9. I am a shithead, Windows 95 rules

10. makefile.am rules

11. Just deleted ALL RULES in IPCHAINS, How can I get them back?

12. Sample collections of ipchains rules?