How to do ipmasqadm in 2.4.19

How to do ipmasqadm in 2.4.19

Post by Praveen Sharm » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 04:32:02



Hello,
I get following error message when I try ipmasadm:


portfw: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available

portfw: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available
Could not open "/proc/net/ip_masq/portfw"
Could not open "/proc/net/ip_portfw"
Check if you have enabled portforwarding

The questions is I am trying to forward netmeeting ports on my linux server,
and for that reason I am using ipmaqadm to facilitate that. But I get above
message.
I looked into the 'man' pages of 'ipmasqadm', which says that one should
have following modules enable while compiling the kernel.

[       Kernel must have been compiled with
       CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
       CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y
       CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD=y
       and
       CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW=y/m
       CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW=y/m
       CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MFW=y/m
       for respective modules.

]
But my .config file (for 2.4.19) doesn't have any such strings. What is the
suggestions?
I will appreciate it and how can I make it work? has anybody else done
netmeeting configuration successfully in a linux(acting as gateway) + MS
Windows m/c on internal private LAN in the network using 2.4.19 kernel.

Thanks
-praveen

 
 
 

How to do ipmasqadm in 2.4.19

Post by lfre » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:11:50


use ipchains or iptables.

> Hello,
> I get following error message when I try ipmasadm:


> portfw: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available

> portfw: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available
> Could not open "/proc/net/ip_masq/portfw"
> Could not open "/proc/net/ip_portfw"
> Check if you have enabled portforwarding

> The questions is I am trying to forward netmeeting ports on my linux
server,
> and for that reason I am using ipmaqadm to facilitate that. But I get
above
> message.
> I looked into the 'man' pages of 'ipmasqadm', which says that one should
> have following modules enable while compiling the kernel.

> [       Kernel must have been compiled with
>        CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD=y
>        and
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW=y/m
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW=y/m
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MFW=y/m
>        for respective modules.

> ]
> But my .config file (for 2.4.19) doesn't have any such strings. What is
the
> suggestions?
> I will appreciate it and how can I make it work? has anybody else done
> netmeeting configuration successfully in a linux(acting as gateway) + MS
> Windows m/c on internal private LAN in the network using 2.4.19 kernel.

> Thanks
> -praveen


 
 
 

How to do ipmasqadm in 2.4.19

Post by Denni » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:01:40


Hi Parveen,

I have done this using a 2.4.18 kernel. This was quite a *. The 2.4.18
kernel needs to be patched before it works correctly with H323 traffic.
After al the pain of patching the kernel, it works just fine now. For the
2.4.19 kernel it is believe it is also nessasary to apply a patch first (the
so called newnat patch, see http://www.veryComputer.com/~koepi/newnat.html for
more information). You will to recompile the kernel after that making sure
that the H323 support is selected during config.

B.T.W. This patch works with iptables. ipmasqadm was used in the older
kernels (2.0.x if I recall correctly). As of kernel 2.2.x the whole
firewalling administration was changed and ipchains appeared. As of the
2.4.x kernel the tool iptables has been introduced.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Dennis.



> Hello,
> I get following error message when I try ipmasadm:


> portfw: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available

> portfw: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available
> Could not open "/proc/net/ip_masq/portfw"
> Could not open "/proc/net/ip_portfw"
> Check if you have enabled portforwarding

> The questions is I am trying to forward netmeeting ports on my linux
server,
> and for that reason I am using ipmaqadm to facilitate that. But I get
above
> message.
> I looked into the 'man' pages of 'ipmasqadm', which says that one should
> have following modules enable while compiling the kernel.

> [       Kernel must have been compiled with
>        CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD=y
>        and
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW=y/m
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW=y/m
>        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MFW=y/m
>        for respective modules.

> ]
> But my .config file (for 2.4.19) doesn't have any such strings. What is
the
> suggestions?
> I will appreciate it and how can I make it work? has anybody else done
> netmeeting configuration successfully in a linux(acting as gateway) + MS
> Windows m/c on internal private LAN in the network using 2.4.19 kernel.

> Thanks
> -praveen

 
 
 

How to do ipmasqadm in 2.4.19

Post by Praveen Sharm » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:54:46


Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your reply. I tried building the kernel using the patch for
2.4.19, available on the below enclosed web site, but it crashes the kernel,
build using the patch.
I have followed the instructions available on the web site.
Has anybody had luck in building reliable kernel?
I will appreciate if someone could forward me the steps.
Thanks
-praveen


> Hi Parveen,

> I have done this using a 2.4.18 kernel. This was quite a *. The
2.4.18
> kernel needs to be patched before it works correctly with H323 traffic.
> After al the pain of patching the kernel, it works just fine now. For the
> 2.4.19 kernel it is believe it is also nessasary to apply a patch first
(the
> so called newnat patch, see http://www.veryComputer.com/~koepi/newnat.html
for
> more information). You will to recompile the kernel after that making sure
> that the H323 support is selected during config.

> B.T.W. This patch works with iptables. ipmasqadm was used in the older
> kernels (2.0.x if I recall correctly). As of kernel 2.2.x the whole
> firewalling administration was changed and ipchains appeared. As of the
> 2.4.x kernel the tool iptables has been introduced.

> Hope this helps,

> Regards,

> Dennis.



> > Hello,
> > I get following error message when I try ipmasadm:


> > portfw: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available

> > portfw: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available
> > Could not open "/proc/net/ip_masq/portfw"
> > Could not open "/proc/net/ip_portfw"
> > Check if you have enabled portforwarding

> > The questions is I am trying to forward netmeeting ports on my linux
> server,
> > and for that reason I am using ipmaqadm to facilitate that. But I get
> above
> > message.
> > I looked into the 'man' pages of 'ipmasqadm', which says that one should
> > have following modules enable while compiling the kernel.

> > [       Kernel must have been compiled with
> >        CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
> >        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y
> >        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD=y
> >        and
> >        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW=y/m
> >        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW=y/m
> >        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MFW=y/m
> >        for respective modules.

> > ]
> > But my .config file (for 2.4.19) doesn't have any such strings. What is
> the
> > suggestions?
> > I will appreciate it and how can I make it work? has anybody else done
> > netmeeting configuration successfully in a linux(acting as gateway) + MS
> > Windows m/c on internal private LAN in the network using 2.4.19 kernel.

> > Thanks
> > -praveen

 
 
 

How to do ipmasqadm in 2.4.19

Post by Denni » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 21:52:02


Hi Praveen,

I haven't tried it with the 2.4.19 kernel yet. Though I am going to upgrade
to it and I will try it (I hope very soon).

Does applying the patch give you any errors?? With the 2.4.18 kernel I
applied the patch to the kernel which was delivered on the RedHat CD. I
wouldn't work. So I downloaded a "clean" kernel from kernel.org and it
worked like a charm!! I guess you already downloaded the "clean" kernel from
the web, for I don't think there is a distribution yet including the 2.4.19
kernel.

I will post my results here after trying to apply the patch.

Regards,

Dennis .



<SNIP>

Quote:> I have followed the instructions available on the web site.
> Has anybody had luck in building reliable kernel?
> I will appreciate if someone could forward me the steps.
> Thanks
> -praveen

> > For the
> > 2.4.19 kernel it is believe it is also nessasary to apply a patch first
> (the
> > so called newnat patch, see http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/newnat.html
> for
> > more information). You will to recompile the kernel after that making
sure
> > that the H323 support is selected during config.

 
 
 

How to do ipmasqadm in 2.4.19

Post by Praveen Sharm » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:05:43


I will appreciate if you could send me the log from step-by-step commands
issued to build your kernel with newnat patch.

Indeed, I did load the clean 2.4.19 kernel (from kernel.org). I think it is
available on this web site.

thanks
-praveen


> Hi Praveen,

> I haven't tried it with the 2.4.19 kernel yet. Though I am going to
upgrade
> to it and I will try it (I hope very soon).

> Does applying the patch give you any errors?? With the 2.4.18 kernel I
> applied the patch to the kernel which was delivered on the RedHat CD. I
> wouldn't work. So I downloaded a "clean" kernel from kernel.org and it
> worked like a charm!! I guess you already downloaded the "clean" kernel
from
> the web, for I don't think there is a distribution yet including the
2.4.19
> kernel.

> I will post my results here after trying to apply the patch.

> Regards,

> Dennis .



> <SNIP>
> > I have followed the instructions available on the web site.
> > Has anybody had luck in building reliable kernel?
> > I will appreciate if someone could forward me the steps.
> > Thanks
> > -praveen

> > > For the
> > > 2.4.19 kernel it is believe it is also nessasary to apply a patch
first
> > (the
> > > so called newnat patch, see

http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/newnat.html

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> > for
> > > more information). You will to recompile the kernel after that making
> sure
> > > that the H323 support is selected during config.