Newbie Question about Welcome Messages

Post by Craig C. Regeste » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I was curious, when someone telnets or ftps to a domain, you get a message
like,

"RedHat Linux 5.0 (Hurricane)
 Kernel Build Blah Blah Blah"

But, when I telnetted into this one server, it was customized to what the
root obviously set it to. Does anyone know how he changed this? What file it

Thanks,
Craig Regester

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I was curious, when someone telnets or ftps to a domain, you get a message
> like,

> "RedHat Linux 5.0 (Hurricane)
>  Kernel Build Blah Blah Blah"

> But, when I telnetted into this one server, it was customized to what the
> root obviously set it to. Does anyone know how he changed this? What file it

The files are /etc/issue (displayed before local login prompts, usually
re-written at boot time by the startup scripts), /etc/issue.net (displayed
before login prompt from remote logins), and /etc/motd (displayed after
logging in unless user has a ~/.hushlogin file)

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.0 Linux 2.0.33/2.1.78 i586 | at public servers

Newbie Question about Welcome Messages

/etc/issue.  see also /etc/rc.d/rc.local on RH systems.

Post by Chris Saunderso » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I was curious, when someone telnets or ftps to a domain, you get a message
> like,

> "RedHat Linux 5.0 (Hurricane)
>  Kernel Build Blah Blah Blah"

> But, when I telnetted into this one server, it was customized to what the
> root obviously set it to. Does anyone know how he changed this? What file it

/etc/issue
/etc/motd

--

Technical Support Engineer      Telephone: (08) 8379 7333
Maptek Pty Ltd                  Fax:       (08) 8379 7377