Linux and MAC peer-to-peer connection???

Linux and MAC peer-to-peer connection???

Post by Kalpesh Gal » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am interested in connecting my roommates MAC 7500 to
my intel Linux machine.  I? have a 3C900 card with coax
running to his computer which has an ethernet transciever
connected to it to allow the coax conversion to ethernet.

This is all we have done.  I?am not sure what to do in the
OS to get us connected.?  Ideally, I? would like to be connected
to the internet via my ISP? and he access the internet
through my linux machine.

Please advise.

Pesh

Post by Wilhelm Fitzpatric » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I am interested in connecting my roommates MAC 7500 to
> my intel Linux machine.

Well, if you want to do file or printer sharing, get netatalk, and
compile your Linux kernel with Appletalk support (or load the module)

If you want the Mac to do TCP/IP, get a copy of MacTCP or Open
Transport (if your roomate has MacOS 7.5 or newer, he should already
have this)

If you want his Mac to access the internet through your linux box,
you'll probably have to set your system up for IP masquerading, since
it'll need to appear to the internet to be using the IP address assigned
to you Linux box.

-wilhelmf

Post by Trevor Jenki » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I am interested in connecting my roommates MAC 7500 to
> my intel Linux machine.  I? have a 3C900 card with coax
> running to his computer which has an ethernet transciever
> connected to it to allow the coax conversion to ethernet.

I'm in a similar position, except that I own both machines and I want to
use 10Base-T rather than 10Base-2 wiring between them. However, I'd rather
nort spend out on a hub until I have to buy one. Is it possible to use the
10Base-T equivalent of a "null modem" cable? Then I could plug the two
machines together and ignore the hubpf the problem. :-)

Regards, Trevor.

--

"Real Men don't Read Instruction Manuals"
   Tim Allen, Home Improvement

Post by Mark Bakarich, regular gu » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > I am interested in connecting my roommates MAC 7500 to
> > my intel Linux machine.  I  have a 3C900 card with coax
> > running to his computer which has an ethernet transciever
> > connected to it to allow the coax conversion to ethernet.

> I'm in a similar position, except that I own both machines and I want to
> use 10Base-T rather than 10Base-2 wiring between them. However, I'd rather
> nort spend out on a hub until I have to buy one. Is it possible to use the
> 10Base-T equivalent of a "null modem" cable? Then I could plug the two
> machines together and ignore the hubpf the problem. :-)

Yes this is possible.
The xmit/rcv pairs need to be crossed. If your local networking shop
don't sell the X-over cable or can't make it up for you, then take a
regular cable a swap the 2 pairs yourself. Note that pins 1 & 2 are
a pair and pins 3 & 6 are a pair.

PC1 ------------- PC2

 1 -------------- 3
 2 -------------- 6
 3 -------------- 1
 6 -------------- 2

Easy to do if your'e handy with a soldering iron and a multimeter.
Probably should cover the individual connections with black electricians
tape or other insulating material (heat shrink tubing).

(mailed & posted)
--
Regards,
--------

Linux and MAC peer-to-peer connection???

Post by Jacarrol » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

  OK, I want to do the same thing with my wife's LC-III.  The Linux box
and the Apollos use 10Base2 TCP/IP.  The LC-III has one available board
slot, but I want to use it for a video driver board for the spare
high-resolution analog monitor.  Is there a way to interface the Mac's
SCSI port to 10Base2?  I don't want to do it through the modem port, since
38400 baud isn't fast enough to do what I want.  (I assume there's no such
thing as a single board that supports both an analog monitor and an
Ethernet port... noooo!)
   All clues highly appreciated.

Post by Wilhelm Fitzpatric » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Is there a way to interface the Mac's
> SCSI port to 10Base2?

There was a SCSI Ethernet transciever being sold by one of the Mac
networking
companies (Dayna? Farallon? Shiva?) for awhile, for hooking up
powerbooks &
older Macs & such.  But I do recall it being *rather* expensive.
($500+?)

Quote:> I don't want to do it through the modem port, since
> 38400 baud isn't fast enough to do what I want.

A cheaper option might be a Localtalk to Ethernet bridge, You get get
small
4 port ones pretty cheap (they are advertised for hooking old
Laserwriters
to ethernets).  Localtalk gives you around 115kbps, don't know if that
is
too slow for your application.

-wilhelmf

1. Mac-linux ethernet peer-to-peer

If you find out how to make it a two-way street (with _only_ linux and
MAC) let me know. I know of netatalk, but that lets MAC read linux, not
the other way. The best I was able to accomplish was netatalk for one way
and ftp/http for the other. Not exactly desireable or effective.

--
Better living through denial.

2. rpm & gnorpm problems

3. Win98 / Linux / Peer-to-peer / Net Connection help!!

4. Apache AuthType Digest Question

5. peer-to-peer connection Solaris and NT

6. re-installing Win95 in Win95+linux system

7. Peer-to-peer serial connection

8. February 27, 2002

9. Intel/Linux peer to peer with Mac OS

10. Help with Linux -> Win95 peer to peer connection?

11. Peer-to-Peer : Mixed Linux and Windows

12. NEWBIE: Need a Windoze / Linux Peer-to-Peer

13. Peer-to-Peer Network of LINUX Workstations, IS IT POSSIBLE?