Transferring files from a Mac to a Linux box

Post by Chris Saunderso » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

Hi Pete - long time!

Quote:> I have a 3Com 3C900-COMBO NIC installed on the Linux box (10baseT), and the
> Mac has 10baseT Ethernet built into it. The Mac has a TCP/IP stack (Open
> Transport), so can't I just run an Ethernet cable between 'em and xfer the
> files using FTP? Do I need to install a hub between the two boxes?

A hub will work, or just a crossed cable. Do you have BNC connectors
on both machines? That'll be a lot easier to set up. T-pieces and thinwire
will suffice.

Quote:> Or can I just do this with a serial connection somehow, and bypass
> Ethernet? I don't care about speed - this is a non-production environment
> where I can just leave both boxes to do the xfer through the night.

You can do that. Z-Term should talk to sz/rz on a Linux box.

Quote:> I installed netatalk under Linux. It compiled OK, I updated the conf files
> etc., but nothing seemed to happen when I tried to login to AppleShare
> (i.e. nothing appeared in the Chooser window). Any ideas? Is this overkill
> anyway since all I'm trying to do is move some files across?

Definite overkill.

Quote:> Should I look into Samba a bit more?

Won't help. Samba is a SMB/MS thing, and won't do much for your Mac's.

> or post to comp.os.linux.networking.

Grab the Serial and Net-3 HOWTO's and give them a good read - there should
be plenty of ideas in there.

How's the album coming? =)

Cheers

Saundo

--

Technical Support Engineer      Telephone: (08) 8379 7333
                Maptek Pty Ltd - Adelaide

Transferring files from a Mac to a Linux box

Post by Pete Rivett-Carn » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I need to transfer a bunch of files from a Mac 7600/120 running MacOS 7.5.3
to an Intel box running Redhat Linux 4.1 (kernel 2.0.27).  I'll only need
to do it once. Is there an easy solution?

I have a 3Com 3C900-COMBO NIC installed on the Linux box (10baseT), and the
Mac has 10baseT Ethernet built into it. The Mac has a TCP/IP stack (Open
Transport), so can't I just run an Ethernet cable between 'em and xfer the
files using FTP? Do I need to install a hub between the two boxes?

Or can I just do this with a serial connection somehow, and bypass
Ethernet? I don't care about speed - this is a non-production environment
where I can just leave both boxes to do the xfer through the night.

I installed netatalk under Linux. It compiled OK, I updated the conf files
etc., but nothing seemed to happen when I tried to login to AppleShare
(i.e. nothing appeared in the Chooser window). Any ideas? Is this overkill
anyway since all I'm trying to do is move some files across?

Should I look into Samba a bit more?

or post to comp.os.linux.networking.

Many thanks,
Pete

Post by Paul Na » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

> I need to transfer a bunch of files from a Mac 7600/120 running MacOS 7.5.3

Many, some easier than others

Quote:> Transport), so can't I just run an Ethernet cable between 'em and xfer the

Either install a hub, or a crossed-over ether cable (Tx->Rx, Rx->Tx)

Quote:> Or can I just do this with a serial connection somehow, and bypass

ZTerm on the Mac will talk quite happily to "rz" on linux, with a null
modem (yet another cross-over) between the two serial ports.  If they are
text files, you'll need to specify some magic zmodem option to translate
line-ends correctly, or use "tr" on the unix box to switch CR (mac
line-end) to LF (unix line-end).  Binary files should not be translated.
I'm not sure how good ZTerm is at batch transfers, or whether you'll have
to transfer the files one-at-a-time.

Quote:> I installed netatalk under Linux. It compiled OK, I updated the conf files

You need an ether connection between your Mac and Linux, and set your
Appletalk control panel to use ethernet.  It should work fine (I've been
using it for about a year without any problems)

Quote:> Should I look into Samba a bit more?

No, this is an SMB server, useful for Micro$oft products, such as w4w,
win95, NT and the like.

                        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Depending on the size and number of files, you can also copy them onto PC
formatted floppies (PC Exchange) and use mread to get them onto Linux.
There are also HFS utils and filesystems available for Linux, which will
let you mount Mac format floppies and copy off their contents, or even rip
the hard disk out of your Mac, attach it to the Linux box and copy off the
contents.  As Tannenbaum once said, "never underestimate the bandwidth of
a truck full of magnetic tape".  It's often easier to move disks than to
move bits.

I hope that this help

   paul

Post by Mirko Fluh » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>I need to transfer a bunch of files from a Mac 7600/120 running MacOS 7.5.3
>to an Intel box running Redhat Linux 4.1 (kernel 2.0.27).  I'll only need
>to do it once. Is there an easy solution?
>I have a 3Com 3C900-COMBO NIC installed on the Linux box (10baseT), and the
>Mac has 10baseT Ethernet built into it. The Mac has a TCP/IP stack (Open
>Transport), so can't I just run an Ethernet cable between 'em and xfer the
>files using FTP? Do I need to install a hub between the two boxes?
>Or can I just do this with a serial connection somehow, and bypass
>Ethernet? I don't care about speed - this is a non-production environment
>where I can just leave both boxes to do the xfer through the night.
>I installed netatalk under Linux. It compiled OK, I updated the conf files
>etc., but nothing seemed to happen when I tried to login to AppleShare
>(i.e. nothing appeared in the Chooser window). Any ideas? Is this overkill
>anyway since all I'm trying to do is move some files across?
>Should I look into Samba a bit more?

>or post to comp.os.linux.networking.
>Many thanks,
>Pete

You can do it...
via ftp, via serial cable (zterm or something like that on mac and minicom
on linux) or ... just via disk if the file(s) fit on 1.4 disk.
Both the mac and linux can read PC disk and the linux box can even handle
mac disk... :)

Cheers,
--
Mirko Fluher                    APANA Membership Database Co-ordinator

Australian Public Access Network Association    http://www.apana.org.au

Post by Gary Woodm » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

: I need to transfer a bunch of files from a Mac 7600/120 running MacOS 7.5.3
: to an Intel box running Redhat Linux 4.1 (kernel 2.0.27).  I'll only need
: to do it once. Is there an easy solution?

Put the files on floppy (MS-DOS FAT of course) and walk them across -
can't get much easier than that. With a freeware zip, you could get 2-3
meg on each floppy.

: I have a 3Com 3C900-COMBO NIC installed on the Linux box (10baseT), and the
: Mac has 10baseT Ethernet built into it. The Mac has a TCP/IP stack (Open
: Transport), so can't I just run an Ethernet cable between 'em and xfer the
: files using FTP? Do I need to install a hub between the two boxes?

For 10BaseT - yes (unless you're an experienced cable jiggler).

: Or can I just do this with a serial connection somehow, and bypass
: Ethernet? I don't care about speed - this is a non-production environment
: where I can just leave both boxes to do the xfer through the night.

Ah - they're big files. Yes, a serial connection is the next simplest -
with Minicomm on Linux, Kermit or Red Ryder on the Mac, and a null modem
cable - you should be laughing.

: I installed netatalk under Linux. It compiled OK, I updated the conf files
: etc., but nothing seemed to happen when I tried to login to AppleShare
: (i.e. nothing appeared in the Chooser window). Any ideas?

Sorry, can't help with this, but I'm interested in netatalk (and/or CAP)
as I have a Mac and a Linx PC sharing my desk...

: Is this overkill
: anyway since all I'm trying to do is move some files across?

For a once-off, yes. Linux requires considerably more configuration, care
& feeding than obsolete 16-bit environments like DOS, Win & Mac.

: Should I look into Samba a bit more?

Won't help with a Mac.

Gary

Post by aaar » Sun, 18 May 1997 04:00:00

>Put the files on floppy (MS-DOS FAT of course) and walk them across -
>can't get much easier than that. With a freeware zip, you could get 2-3
>meg on each floppy.

personally I think the easiest way is via ftp if the two machines are
hooked up via ethernet.  if you have ncsatelnet, you can run the mac
as an ftp server.  or you can simply tell fetch to ftp into your linux
box.  there's absolutely no point in converting things to ms-dos.  use
hfsutils on linux: hcd, hmount, hdir, hcopy etc.  if you don't have
them, you can find them at the usual linux ftp sites.  after all, if
there's mac around, it's probably a good idea to install them.  in the
long run it'll save time.

ciao,

g.y.
--
*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*
|   To contact me remove the superfluous bits from my address:   |

*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

1. linux, windows, mac file transfer and print network

Hello everybody

1. I am new on linux and i have one pc on which i have installed linux
ubuntu 9.10, and i am trying to connect it to my network on which are
windows 2k, windows xp, mac os9 and mac osX computers(total of 8 computers),
with windows network there is no problem, linux see it and it can acess it,
mac osx computer sees but cant acess it, and mac os9 cant see and cant acess
it!
2. another problem is that two of my printers are on appletalk network and
cant be accesed through linux, but other three which are on windows network
work and print normally.
3. how do i get other computers to acess and see linux pc both (mac and
windows)

Thanks

2. Setting default umask for FTP

3. how can I transfer 100s of files to linux from a MAC easily?

4. Mail failed, returned to sender: Help!

5. How do I keep original file permissions when transferring files to a new box?

6. 4.3.3 Maintenance Level Help Needed

7. Ethernet link 2 linux boxes to transfer big files ?

8. linux book

9. unable to transfer large file between my two linux boxes

10. ASCII File transfer over Ethernet to Mulitport Serial on Linux box?

11. Transferring files between Linux boxes

12. Transfer files to Mac partition?

13. Mac file transfer problem with netatalk...