Limiting total traffic to 63mb/3hours

Post by Laz » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking into the possibility of getting cablemodem, and after a while
of talking to the company I've decided to go with ipmasquerading and 2
boxes behind my linux gateway box (getting more IPs was 4x the cost of a
single IP account, no matter how many I wanted).

Anyways, the ISP has a limit of 63mb of traffic in a 3 hour period, and I
have to pay $2 for every mb I go over. Normally, I don't think this would
be an issue for me, but I do occasionally do large downloads (greater than
63mb), and was wondering if there is a way to limit the speed I can
download things at once I get close the the 63mb limit, but not totally
drop connection (keep ftp session alive, but make it go slower). Is there
a way to bottleneck my bandwidth using ip accounting?

-Adam

   Adam Lazur - Computer Engineering Undergrad - Lehigh University
              icq# 3354423 - http://www.lehigh.edu/~ajl4/

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking into the possibility of getting cablemodem, and after a while
> of talking to the company I've decided to go with ipmasquerading and 2
> boxes behind my linux gateway box (getting more IPs was 4x the cost of a
> single IP account, no matter how many I wanted).

> Anyways, the ISP has a limit of 63mb of traffic in a 3 hour period, and I
> have to pay $2 for every mb I go over. Normally, I don't think this would
> be an issue for me, but I do occasionally do large downloads (greater than
> 63mb), and was wondering if there is a way to limit the speed I can
> download things at once I get close the the 63mb limit, but not totally
> drop connection (keep ftp session alive, but make it go slower). Is there
> a way to bottleneck my bandwidth using ip accounting?

you should be able to do this with the new network features in 2.1, aka pre
2.2

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.100  i586 | at public servers
"[In 'Doctor' mode], I spent a good ten minutes telling Emacs what I
thought of it.  (The response was, 'Perhaps you could try to be less
abusive.')"
(By Matt Welsh)

1. Should traffic control root qdisc & child class limit traffic?

I noticed that before I add client leaf classes that the value I set
as the ceiling has no effect. For example, after putting in the
following commands:

tc qdisc add dev sat0 root handle 9997 htb default 9999 r2q 2
tc class add dev sat0 parent 9997: classid 9997:9998 htb rate
500000bit ceil 500000bit

I can send over 3000000bits/sec with none of it being dropped. It
looks like the 500000bit ceiling I defined is ignored. After I add
client leaf classes below the root, I then see that packets are
dropped when I try to exceed the ceiling.

Is this behavior expected?

2. weird network problem - help?

3. Accounting total traffic for virtual servers

4. "kcore" file in /usr/X11 tree

5. AccessLog on time and total traffic for Clients

6. Where is the C Compiler on newly installed AIX 4.3.2 ?

7. limiting total server bandwidth.

8. data security program

9. Q: LinuxThreads bizzare limit on "total created" threads ?

10. does argv have a total size limit?

11. limiting total pages for a set of processes

12. total, total newbie needs help with general unix

13. Linux limits ip traffic?