Unknown ports listening for a connection.

Post by Sami Yousi » Sat, 26 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> When I was testing a new portscanner-thingy towards one of my servers I found
> a couple of ports listening for a connection, however, as far as I know
> there's no service running on one of those ports. The ports in question are
> 777 on one server and 786 on another. Both systems are running Debian Linux.
> Can anyone tell me what kind of service this may be or how I'd find out what
> service or program is listening to that port?

try rpcinfo to see if they are ports used by an RPC service

rpcinfo -p {machine name} or on the machine itself "rpcinfo -p
localhost"

according to http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers,
786 is allocated to something called "Concert"; but that may not be what
it is used for on your systems.

--

---
Sami Yousif

http://www.mav.net/teddyr/syousif

[eMail sent to any of my addresses is subject to the Conditions outlined
in http://www.mav.net/teddyr/emailtos.shtml]

[Note: I no longer support ARNet (arn.net) as an ISP nor WTAMU
(wtamu.edu) as an educational institution nor LEK (lektech.com) as a
Computer
Supplier] {http://www.mav.net/teddyr/access/banned.shtml}

[heard somewhere: "You have the right to remain clueless. Anything you
know may be used against you in a court of law"]

Another day, so many more LARTS to go. [BOFH, BUFH, JOAT]

"Understanding is a three edge sword: Our side, Their Side, and the
Truth" Babylon 5

<time is on my side>

Tuesday, January 19th 2038, 03:14:07 UTC: Are YOU Ready?